Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

1) Could the anode break if it is on its side?
I know this is a question, but c'mon, the anode is a metal rod
2)I believe that most have a glass lining...
Yeah, 30 years ago. Someone else already caught this.
3)Avoid stresses when loading it into your truck.
This sounds like good advice, but the box actually protects it pretty well. The worst you might do it put a dent in it. Again, I load them by pivoting the carton all the time, and have never damaged one. But the real danger is pivoting it on the gas control, which is relatively easy to damage.
4)Avoid kinking, like a cheap file cabinet or fridge...
Respect to aem, who posts all the time, but again, the heater is in a heavy carton. Also, there is a layer of insulation between the tank and the jacket, which makes the heater harder to dent or kink. Unlike a file cabinet or refrigerator, you aren't like to see the dent you put in a heater, since they are usually installed in closets, basements, attics, utility rooms, etc.
JK

re: I know this is a question, but c'mon, the anode is a metal rod
Not BS, just an ignorant (but not stupid) question.

re: Yeah, 30 years ago. Someone else already caught this.
Not BS, just an ignorant (but not stupid) belief

Semantics perhaps, but not BS
You said it yourself: "The ONLY thing that you have to watch out for is that you don't smack the gas valve while transporting it"
He said stress, you said smack. You say tomaaato, I say tamotto.
(Now *that's* BS - I don't really say tamotto)

re: 4)Avoid kinking, like a cheap file cabinet or fridge...
Even if we grant you this one as a possible BS candidate, IMO a single instance doesn't measure up to "I have never seen so much BS in a thread on this group. "

I concede and bow to your greater patience for lame answers to newsgroup questions.
JK
snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote in

Tie it upright to the front bumper like you're haulin' home a trophy buck that you just shot.
In article

I was told years ago not to transport water heaters horizontally because their long internal Magnesium anode rods are fragile suspended out supported only by one end.
In the real world, I've transported 8 or 10 new ones horizontally through the years, but have always been extra careful of road bumps, and to not to mechanically 'shock' the heater while on it's side.
If you do break a rod, you won't have any way of knowing, and it won't 'rear' it's ugly head till the tank rusts through pre-maturely...
Erik

You wouldn't hear the broken rod rattling around in the inside of the heater as you installed it?
JK