Can I haul a new water heater home on its side?

Good example of why I always thought those semi-permanent bed-lid toppers just make a truck into a 2-door coupe with a huge trunk. Yeah, you can take them off, but it is such a pain that people never do.
But as to how to haul the heater- it isn't so much that you need padding, it is that you need to avoid kinking. Hauling cheap office file cabinets and refrigerators presents a similar problem. (Yeah, I know about the oil in fridges- you just have to let them sit a few days.) I'd either use some planks, or a sheet of stiff plywood, or a handtruck, and support the entire length of the item as it was leaned over into the bed. (I seldom had a helper available.)
-- aem sends...

Sorry about that, Chief. I read too fast and missed the part where you mentioned the bed cap

Good on you. Now you just have to train yourself to call it a "COLD water heater". :)
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

You actually get "cold" water from the taps in Texas? I would think that the water coming into the house there would be "tepid".
JK
Big_Jake wrote:

Not this time of year, I don't. It starts out chilly, then warms up after I use up the water that was sitting inside the walls.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

re: ... after I use up the water that was sitting inside the walls.
You really should get that fixed.
DerbyDad03 wrote:

I thought about it, but life is too short to live in a house without walls.
--
Steve Bell
New Life Home Improvement

It's a cold water heater, a hot water heater is a boiler. *snicker*
[8~{} Uncle Monster
On Fri, 22 Aug 2008 22:29:28 -0500, Uncle Monster

How water heaters are for those who like to cook in the shower :-)
Harry L wrote:

Wuts a "how" water heater? Is it an American Indian water heater? Perhaps it's a water heater that explains what it's doing?
[8~{} Uncle Monster
On Sat, 23 Aug 2008 11:33:09 -0500, Uncle Monster
[snip]

What it is, is the spell checker. It doesn't know when a 'w' is really a 't'. People usually seem to figure those out, considering context. Software can't.

Harry L wrote:

Oh eye get it, a spiel chequer pogrom malefactor. Eye understate know.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
On Aug 21, 11:49am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

1 - Cut a hole in the topper just a tad bigger then the box. 2 - Slip the box in up-right 3 - At home, take the WH out of the box and put the box back in the hole for extra storage 4 - Stay out of the rain

Now that's a solution I didn't think of...

    I believe most have a glass lining that is more vulnerable on the sides. Be careful however, and you should be OK.

they haven't made glass lines ones for many, many years. they use ceramics instead, which is why you don't want to bounce them when on their side. you don't want to flex them in any way.
On Thu, 21 Aug 2008 08:49:33 -0700, mkirsch1 wrote:

Have at least one helper to assist you. That way you can avoid any stresses that might result when pivoting the carton while loading into the truck.
On Aug 21, 10:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@rochester.rr.com wrote:

I have never seen so much BS in a thread on this group. I have NEVER hauled a water heater standing up, and I have installed between 35 and 50 in my lifetime. The ONLY thing that you have to watch out for is that you don't smack the gas valve while transporting it, which is clearly marked as "control" on one side. If the heater is electric, you don't even have to worry about it.
JK

Maybe if you hauled it properly, you wouldn't have to keep re-installing new ones.
Idiot.

Never had to replace one that I installed.

Well, that's constructive and beneficial to the group.
JK

re: I have never seen so much BS in a thread on this group.
What BS?
If my math is correct, 99% of the responders either said it was OK to haul it on it's side or made a joke about it. The only one who said to haul it upright missed the part where the OP said he had a cap on his truck, and then corrected himself.
Where's the BS you mention?