Can I disassemble a mansard roof?

I wish I have a better picture but here it is:

The house has a flat roof. Towards the left side is a two story portion of the house. The roof of that is actually a flat roof, the small sloped portion I was told is called a Mansard roof. I hate the way it looks but I don't know if this mansard roof part is decorative or structural? Is it part of the roof framing? or can I take it apart and make it into a simple 90 degree angle flat roof without reframing the roof?

I know this is probably more a question for a contractor, but this is a house I plan on putting an offer on and I need to get as much information as possible about what can and cannot be done.

Thanks in advance,

MC

Reply to
MiamiCuse

It could be framed in any number of ways. The odds are pretty good it was tacked on, but you won't know until you poke a hole or gain access to the attic.

It's possible to rework anything in residential construction - if you have the money. Most likely it's not a huge amount of money to disassemble it, but you'll have a lot of work putting it back together, particularly the roofing.

RicodJour

Check with the building department in municipality where the home is located - should have drawings. Consider ductwork, etc., in the plan.

Reply to
Norminn

MC, you've posted a number of questions about that house. They should be looked at and answered together. The solution to any one problem will have a ripple effect, and so they should be looked at as a system. To get your money's worth out of the project, you need a design pro to look at the whole house. The fee would be cheap insurance. TB

Reply to
tbasc