Can anyone beat this for under-cabinet lights...

I'm going to install under cabinet lights. I've looked around and this seems to be the best deal for my needs. Before I pull the trigger I wondered if anyone knew of a better deal.

My requirements are:

-must be hard-wireable

-must be 1" thick or less ( want low profile so they won't stick out past the lip of the cabinet )

-no more than ~$100 for everything.

I need to cover two cabinets that are 34.5" and one that is 13.5"

They have a "minimum quantity" so I'll have to pay a $10 "small order" fee which kind of annoys me but buying two long and one short will bring the total to about $104. Thanks for your thoughts.

(I'm going with flourescent because they seem the cheapest and most energy efficient. It's ok that they are not dimmable)

Reply to
workinprogress

No experience with these models but I can say that florescent is a good way to go since they run cool and use up to 30% less electricity. I had florescents in my last house and we would leave them on in the night for night lights and those trips to the kitchen for cold water, milk and cookies.....I'm sure you will get some posts to help you more...good luck, Ross

Reply to
Ross Mac

Correction....30% *OF* the electricity of incandescants....in other words a1/3rd the power....

Reply to
Ross Mac

Nope!

But you might want to look at other systems.

See if someone had an LED based system. These would have a MUCH longer life that a flourescent tube (to the point where you just would not have to consider replacement) and a lower profile. They might not have to total light of the flourescent, however.

Reply to
John Gilmer

Ibought mine at Home Depot that fit this area. Low cost. W W

Reply to
Warren Weber

I replaced thin-line under cabinet flourescents [after 20 years of service] because the parts were too expensive.

Cheap [$20] thin line halogens at my local hardware store seem fine and can be ganged together. I hardwired them with no problems. They don't show and when they fail, the bulbs are inexpensive to replace.

YRMV

Reply to
John Keiser

I have some flourscents under my cabinets and after a few years the diffusors plastic changes and they tend to fall off every few months. Very annoying. May not be that brand though.

Reply to
Art

The led option is interesting but I guess I'm more familiar with this style of flourescent so I'll probably go with that. I wouldn't mind home depot, but that last I checked I couldn't find any low profile there, mostly the ''puck'' halogen or xeon. I like the color of halogen, but they don't last long enough for me. I put some xeons up for Mom and they are good but flourescent are cheaper so that will do for me. Thanks to everyone for the input.

Reply to
workinprogress

from what i can tell, you know know less about the fixtures now, than you did before you started the thread. this is called negative information. newsgroups are very good at providing negative information.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Speaking of negative information, that's about what you contributed to this thread.

And where did you see that I was trying to 'learn about the fixtures'? I asked if anyone knew of any better deals based on my listed requirements.

Whatever is wrong with you, I hope you feel better tomorrow.

Reply to
workinprogress

Those are rated at 4100K , that is a cool white light, not exactly what you want in a kitchen as things will apear grey-your hands and food, 4100K is a good workshop light. A 3800K or Kelvin light is warmer and nicer, food looks real. Also those only are putting out 30-45 LPW

-Lumen per watt. T-8 tube vs T-5 have more choises and go to 110 LPW, or twice as efficient. Go to HD and there are T-8 fixtures with warm white bulbs you will like better. K-or Kelvin is the color temp rating, how warm the color is and how nice they will look. I found nice T-8-warm white 3800K at HD or Menards. Its all in the bulb. Forget LED they are 17-19 LPW same as incandesant and way to pricey. Yes colored LEDs are most efficient , just not white yet

Reply to
m Ransley

Lampi lights at HD and others are wired to a plug but the wire can be cut and hard wired. Compare cool white 4100k to warm white 3800K there are displays at certain stores , put your hand under the light directly you will notice the color difference, grey vs natural. Warm white is for kitchens and living areas , not cool white 4100K , cool white is for garages and work areas, cool white bulbs are the cheap ones.

Reply to
m Ransley

Thanks for the info. I know that flourescents in general have a cooler color. I've put low voltage xeons up before (under cabinet) and they look good; bright and warm (color) and are dimmable. I don't remember the Kelvin rating. However I want to do about 83 inches for ~$100 and from what I've found so far, the price goes up as the color temp goes down. So I am settling for flourescent to save money.

Reply to
workinprogress