I just went to a class on mold remediation a couple of weeks ago. The
bleach thing was a question that I asked. The instructor recommended
against using it, because people sensitised to mold don't need any
other chemicals in the air among other things. The instructor had a
lot of letters after his name, he was a Certified Indoor
Environmentalist, among other things. The web site for his company is
www.ptainc.com. I usually don't just blow smoke, I have some basis for
what I say. I am passing on information here that I just got a couple
of weeks ago. In fact he will be sending me more information through
our association shortly. Our association is the South Carolina
Association of Heating and Air Conditioning Contractors (SCAHACC) and
they sponsored the class.
The whole area of "mold" as being something to worry about has been
created by the legal profession which really needs something new to sue
for. They are using scare tactics and are trying to get legislation
passed against a situation which is completely natural. And of course
there a whole service industry has appeared to service the perceived
need to "de-mold" a house and it's not a cheap operation.
You can never get rid of all mold. It is in the air, on the walls, all
around the cleanest of houses. To worry about it makes as much sense
as worrying about "dirt".
You might get your family tested to see if anybody is abnormally
sensitive to molds. Many persons, swayed by current hype, _think_ they
are. Scientific tests will tell the truth.
As for "Certified" personnel, ask, "Certified by whom?". Check with
your state Division of Registration. This office licenses those
professions that need it -- doctors, dentists, building contractors,
embalmers, ... Outside of this, anybody can "certify" anybody else.
But it _consider the source_!
Personally, I would have the mold tested to verify that it is not one
of the toxic varities, eg stachy botris. If it's not toxic, then I'd
buy the place, otherwise, I would walk. There are plenty of other
houses one can find.
You've included the magic words:
Of course, he's going to find reasons why do-it-yourself remedies won't
I don't care how many letters he has after his name.
He has a vested interest and is hardly a neutral authority.
As another poster mentioned, bleach doesn't stay in the air long enough to
cause anyone long term allergies.
Heck, if it did, we better damn well stop using it in schools, offices,
hospitals and homes everywhere
(1) Bleach is a on-time deal, mold keeps right on giving.
(2) In an uninhabitted attic, any airborne chemicals should be headed
out the vents, not into the living space, anyway.
I've seen all the replies(helping to asses and clean up the problem),
and wonder somethings. If you have places where you KNOW there is
mold, what about the places you don't KNOW? I mean the walls the
floor spaces, etc...
Rumor has it, there are other houses for sale. I would move on to
tom <== being very lazy. :)
HIS company does training only, not mold remediation. He makes no less
money if someone does it himself, (mold remediation). His company
trains people to do mold remediation and asbestos abatement acording to
industry standards and government regulations. He also trains on
Lawyer avoidance. This is not a bad thing. I went to the class
because as an A/C contractor, mold problems can affect me. We do not
do mold remediation, but I wanted to know if somebody may be blowing
smoke in my face. I do not have a ax to grind on this, I just thought
you would like to know. I figured that was why you were here. My
If your looking for a newer standard house then yes, there is a lot of
choice. If your looking for an older house with a lot of character then the
choices become limited, hence my dilemma.
Anyways, I went ahead and bought the house after the mold was cleaned up and
the attic re-inspected. The inspector stated that it was a very minor mold
issue and that the renovations that were done should be sufficient to
prevent recurrence of it. Thanks to everyone who responded for their advice,
I appreciate it.
FEMA says, use bleach:
CDC says, use bleach or soap and water, even for stachybotrys:
But then, CDC also says you don't usually need to bother testing
what type of mold it is, either, and they don't recommend routine
sampling for mold.
Of course, those are just the opinions of public health experts,
uninformed by the latest in class-action hysteria and fear
mongering. They'd probably eat apples treated with Alar, or even
drive a Corsair.
email@example.com is Joshua Putnam
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.