Briggs & Stratton, no compression brand new head

24 hp engine on a Cub Cadet mower. V-twin. 2004 vintage 274 hours. Left side of engine (looking from the carburetor) had bent push rods. On the intake valve the valve guide got displaced and locked up the rocker arm. Decided to buy 2 new heads from Amazon due to hours on engine. Installed both heads, proper torque and valve clearance. Right side 90 psi compression. Left side 0, not even a flicker of the needle.

Double checked valve clearance. Right on 0.004".

Did I get a bad head (original B&S heads in B&S box). What in the world could lead to absolute 0 compression? Prior to dis-assembly This cylinder had a compression of 60 psi.

Thanks, Ivan Vegvary

Reply to
Ivan Vegvary

On 5/31/2016 9:24 PM, Iv

I'd back the adjusters on the bad side way off and try cranking it... if it has compression then it's the adjustment. Check for sticking valves, piston moving etc. with no compression it out to be obvious what is wrong. If you can do a leak down test then hook air to it and listen for leak somewhere. Adjusting the valves ... seems you are suppose to turn the engine backwards from TDC on some of these so the compression release won't mess up the clearance while adjusting the valves. Follow the manual. Now that I think about it.. maybe there shouldn't be much compression when cranking if the valves are adjusted properly. Lots of youtube videos showing the valve adj. procedures.

Reply to
My 2 Cents

Ivan Vegvary posted for all of us...

Could have lower side damage such as pistons or block. Did you replace the push-rod and valves? Let us know more...

Reply to
Tekkie®

He said he had 60psi before replacing the head, so the piston and rings should be OK. Time for a ;leakdown test - or mabee start with a "bubble test" to be sure the head gasket sealed.

Reply to
clare

On the intake valve the valve guide got displaced and locked up the rocker arm.

psi compression. Left side 0, not even a flicker of the needle.

ld could lead to absolute 0 compression? Prior to dis-assembly This cylind er had a compression of 60 psi.

Thanks, I didn't remember that. Yup gotta go further.

Reply to
Tekkie®

valve timing worng?

Reply to