briggs engine backfires etc Briggs 15 HP OHV

Hi I am trying to understand. I do not have a degree wheel or dial indicator so I am going by sight which is pretty good. However, you seems to be saying that the alignment marks on the gear and the cam may not necessarily be touching each other. From what I have been told, I always assumed that, the alignment marks simply needed to be adjacent to each other so that they came as close as possible to touching each other. If so, it would be properly aligned. But it seems that you are saying that if a valve is still open when the piston is TDC and the marks are adjacent to each other, there is still a problem and then the cam needs to be rotated 180. That would mean that the mark on the cam would be as far away from the mark on the gear as possible? Am I understanding correctly? This is a revalation to me as I have been toying at this for 6 months and from what I was told, the marks must be adjacent to each other for alignment to occur? I am stumped and perplexed. Please help if you can. I am still at the 3rd grade level here.

Does anyone know where the aliignment marks can or should be to be properly aligned. This is a Briggs 28N707 15 HP OHV

Reply to
mikey55

If you put the alignment marks next to each other and BOTH valves are open at TDC then that means it is not in alignment. Try putting the cam in at 180 degrees opposite. If the valves are now closed at TDC i would say that is the proper way.

Reply to
PAUL100

You're stumped because Usenet is the greatest source in history for pure bullshit. You've been right all along. If the two timing marks are aligned, you're done.

If there's a valve open at that point, it was DESIGNED THAT WAY. Relax. If there's a valve open at TDC, the engine would never have run from brand new.

There's no such thing as the cam being "180 degrees out". As anyone with a measurable IQ could fathom, the cam would then be "180 out" every other revolution of the crank. Lunacy.

Just reassemble the engine the way you had it, and check for compression. Troubleshoot from there. And take everything you read on Usenet with a grain of salt!

snipped-for-privacy@mindless.com wrote: This is a revalation

Reply to
R Barr

R Barr