Briggs and Stratton Engine Problem

It might be that you are using your stuff more regularly than most.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

As of last October, E15 waiver was granted by EPA for 2007 and newer vehicles; not for prior to 2000 model years and those in between are still in limbo. Release EPA420-F-10-054, October 2010

EPA promulgates regulations; underlying laws are enacted by the Congress...

The point was that all distributors locally have gone to ethanol blends so there is no local supply of 100% gasoline any longer which was the answer to your previous supposition.

My difficulty in the problems other folks keep raising that I've talked about in the overall thread is that I've never seen such kinds of carb problems in 50 years and a wide variety of vehicles nor was I aware that dad or grandfather ever had such kinds of issues before I took over maintenance duties myself and that covers a long period of time before there was any ethanol at all in US gasoline and the period of tetra-ethyl lead as well.

I still don't grok why there's this apparent dichotomy of experience and find it most curious and puzzling.

--

Reply to
dpb

Yea, we get it already. You haven't had these problems. Well, others have. Equiment that has sat for a long time sometimes needs it's carb cleaned. I got a perfectly good lightly used 5hp chipper for $50 that way. Wouldn't start. Removed and cleaned the carb, put it back together and it is fine.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

On 7/7/2011 8:14 AM, jamesgangnc wrote: ...

I don't know...possible, I suppose; that would depend on what "regularly" means in the context. :)

Sometimes it's on order of month or longer; never mess about doing anything on small stuff for over winter and the extreme was the aforementioned tiller that was something like 10 years...

I'll go away now but I still stand confounded by the apparent issue as finding it so unlike my experience and that just seems unusual...

Reply to
dpb

Someone you know buys a brand new shiny vehicle. Suddenly, there are dozens of the same model on the road you've never noticed before.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Drain all gas from carb and tank Pour about 4 ounces of liquid carb/injector cleaner into tank Disconnect spark plug and pull cord a dozen times Go away for a couple of hours Remove plug and clean Fill tank with fresh gas Install plug and connect lead Start mower

Over the years this method has only failed me once necessitating carb disassembly. FWIW YMMV

Reply to
DFBonnett