Brick Chimney Leak

I've been trying to find the leak in my chimney for over a year. Part of the problem appears to have occurred when the siding contractor allowed water to be delivered to the J channel on a 45 degree angle along a fascia board; the water was soaking the sheathing behind the chimney. I THINK that's corrected but I really don't know. Is there a camera available to rent that can connect to my portable computer at the fireplace and examine the flue for points of entry? What about sealing the bricks with a clear chemical. I used so expensive stuff about two years ago and it seemed to help somewhat. It's very hard to determine since the source is unknown and each rainfall brings new variables so one never knows if what one did the last time really contributed to the "fix" or if the rain simply wasn't sufficient to get the fireplace wet. My fire bricks in the lower two rows are becoming saturated from water behind them; the mortar is eroding. House is about 35 years old.

Reply to
John Gregory

Joe Fabeitz

Weep holes? I think I need an bit of an education. Can you help please.

Reply to
John Gregory