breakers don't trip, electricity out

Thanks for the response. I went back outside and checked the 100 rated amp circuit breaker under the meter, removed the paneling, and when I switched the breaker off and then on, I noticed that the arcing (or sparks) is coming from the railing that the circuit breaker plugs into,....

Reply to
tysteel

From your description, that's what it sounded like to me. Once that "railing", which is called buss, is annealed from overheating, it looses it's conductive properties, and needs to be replaced. This would probably mean replacing the entire panel. Have a qualified electrician inspect it, if the metal is still in decent shape, it can possibly be cleaned, although the breaker will certainly have to be replaced.

Reply to
RBM

It's okay if the landlord agrees. And he'd be foolish not to.

Reply to
HeyBub

4500W / 240V = 18.75A

Should be OK on a 20A circuit, no? The 80% rule applies only to continuous loads, defined as "maximum current expected to continue for three hours or more." Shouldn't an electric water heater be able to reach temp in much less than three hours?

Reply to
Doug Miller

Agreed, but the tenant needs to get this agreement in writing, else he's foolish not to.

Reply to
KLS

Not if you leave the water running.

Reply to
M Q

Water heaters are treated separately. Branch circuits must be 125% of the nameplate rating. Nec 422.13

Reply to
RBM

Sounds like a bad connection between the bus and the breaker. You'll likely need a new breaker, and quite possibly a new panel as well if the bus is too badly burnt up. I wouldn't wait on it, that sort of thing is asking for a fire. The power company will likely have to come out and pull the meter for that repair..

Reply to
Robert Hancock