Bluestone patio is dusty and flakes off

I have a bluestone patio. The bluestone is set in cement and grouted. The surface seems very fragile. Layers seem to peel off and the surface easily builds up a blue dusty powder. Is there some type of sealer I can use to treat the surface?

Thanks! AaBob

Reply to
adam8ants

As I understand it, there are different kinds of "blue stone". Check with the supplier. TB

Reply to
tbasc

This is a pre-existing patio, so unfortunately the supplier is unknown.

Reply to
adam8ants

If this happens all year, sealing might not help, the stone might just be soft. If it happens more in the winter, you may have moisture entering the pores and expanding as it freezes to cause spalling of small pieces. In this case sealing will probably help.

I would use a penetrating sealer if you want a natural look. What is used for concrete will likely work but you can also use the stuff for stone tile but it will cost a fortune (at $30 per quart). A surface sealer made of acrylic resin will leave a film on the surface but will block water and stabalize the surface.

Choose one and stick to it, you generally can't switch types of sealing product (one seals out the other). Look at stores that sell paving stones like landscape materials yards.

Reply to
PipeDown

Great - Thanks!

Reply to