Beware marble countertops. . .

Exactly, granite is mostly quartz, mica and feldspar heated and then cooled and much much different in characteristics than marble.

Reply to
George

We have properly sealed granite counter tops in the kitchen that have survived now two years of 'cooking' abuse and more importantly chemical abuse. They look new.

However, in two different homes, we went through two sets of Formica countertops very quickly, not from heat, but their top surface dissolved from bleach residue sitting on the surface.First the pattern dissapeared leaving a white surface. Talk about noticeable!

Never again with manmade surfaces. Natural, especially granite is the ONLLY thing we'll consider from now on.

I know, the sealant is manmade, but at least it's transparent and replaceable.

Reply to
Robert Macy

I've been looking at real estate lately and have seen some of the most unbelieveably ugly homes....one had different maroon/dk green wallpapers in EVERY STINKING ROOM, each with it's own border. It would take 100 years to strip it all. Have also seen a lot of expensive kitchens that looked dreadfully dated, in spite of having one of everything from the cabinet catalogue. Eek!

Reply to
Norminn

SWMBO and I recently took a hike through a gorge in a state park. Because of the drought, we were able to walk in the gorge itself instead of on the "Gorge Trail" that ran next it. We walked "in" in the gorge and "out" on the trail, mainly to get out of the sun.

As we were walking in I noticed the rippled rocks on the bottom of the gorge and mentioned to SWMBO how amazing it was that the millions of years of flowing water had formed thousands of these small indentations.

As we were walking out I stopped to read one of the information plaques that had been set up on the gorge trail. It turned out that I was wrong and that the indentations had been caused by the acidic rain pooling on the limestone and eating it away.

I would have prefered the cause to be the power of the river wearing away the rock, but I guess nature has many other ways of wearing things down.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

A minor FYI...marble *was* limestone prior to it being metamorphosed via heat and pressure. Still calcium carbonate but denser.

Reply to
dadiOH

Sadly I agree. And it works the other way too. People assume if you don't have a big house or expensive car for example, you can't afford it.

Reply to
Doug

I don't own granite but can you put a sealer on it instead?

Reply to
Doug

Yah, 9 out of 10 nickel-millionaires like marble. Reminds me of poor Stanley Johnson...

GRUMPY PHUCKER

Granite is not even that expensive these days. It is a glut on the market. A builder can get it for just a little more than mica. Of course they charge a whole lot more on the retail side. The material is pretty cheap, it is just the labor of polishing it.

I just got a bunch for free from a kitchen remodel, just because it wasn't worth cutting and polishing again for another location. I am putting some of it on my pool bar. I bought the diamond pads to polish it "but they ain't arrove yet" I have a diamond cup wheel for my grinder that will shape it real fast. It took about 30 seconds each to shape the 2" radius corners.A diamond blade in a circular saw cuts it about as fast as 2" wood with a combo blade.

I would suggest talking to remodeling contractors and see what they have in their dumpsters if you want to play with some yourself..

Reply to
gfretwell

Bullshit.

Marble isn't useful but there is nothing wrong with granite and it makes a

*much* better surface than Formica (gack). People who can't afford granite use granite slabs for baking and prep. Having a *large* surface makes it all the better.

Irrelevant.

Irrelevant. They suck for other reasons. I'd use Corian in a bathroom but not a kitchen.

Reply to
krw

Agreed but some like that style. OTOH, I certainly wouldn't buy a house with more than one papered room. I could deal with stripping that much, though the last time the one (small) room was a disaster.

Reply to
krw

+2
Reply to
krw

Our first granite was five years ago (~200ft^2 came with the house we're getting ready to sell). We wouldn't be without it again. We did look at a couple of houses (fewer than could be counted on one hand, certainly) that didn't have granite counters but it was a big black mark against them. They would have had to be replaced and that's more of a job than I want to deal with in a new house.

Reply to
krw

I didn't write any of the above. Get your attributions right.

Reply to
krw

Doesn't even need it that often. It's probably a good idea to clean up sulphuric acid spills, though.

Reply to
krw

At least some comes sealed.

Reply to
krw

I don't have granite but I believe I read a couple of years ago, not all granite is of the same quality. Perhaps that's why some here love it while other's don't ???

Reply to
Doug

Tell me more... I'm thinking of replacing my Formica Kitchen counter tops with something but have not yet looked into the pros and cons of the various options. The only thing I'm thinking specifically is that I don't want granite based on comments I've read there and there that it stains too easily.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

The comments you're reading here obviously aren't from people who actually have experience with granite.

Reply to
krw

Oclipped

Corian, to me, feels rubbery. Not as hard as Formica and the coloring is less realistic.

Reply to
Norminn