Best washer under $600?

We got a top of the line Speed Queen top loader last year and paid $599

  • tax. It was a local appliance store and we picked it up, so there was no delivery charge.

As I said you might need to check around to find these washers. It's one of the few vestiges of good 'ol American build quality left in the major appliance industry. Whirlpools are absolute junk, and they make all Kenmore models too.

Reply to
<nospam

Where did you find a &#39;top of the line&#39; SQ for $ 599. The web page I looked at showed that price to be the low end modle and most were well over $ 1000 More like $ 1500 for the top line modles.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

He didn&#39;t say it was new...It was probably used one with the Coin Machine removed....LOL....Whirlpool / Kenmore appliances are fine...I know plenty of people with them...If I was gonna shell out the big bucks I&#39;d get one of those fancy front loaders....

Reply to
benick

Our local appliance dealer had SQ&#39;s AWS76 (top of the line SQ top loader, but last year&#39;s model) at the price I mentioned.

I keep saying you have to search, not online, but CALL around to local appliance stores. The next lowest price we found was at AJ Madison (online), and they were MUCH higher.

Reply to
<nospam

A commercial Speed Queen (which I have both at home, and in a rental unit) will last the longest, but these now cost more than $600 new. I think they are now around $800--without the coin slide. It will probably last 50 years in occasional use, plus it&#39;s very easy to repair (at least the 1963 model that I bought used and that lasted until about 2000, was easy to repair). Had it not spend the first 22 years of its operation in a laundromat, it would likely still be in use today.

Reply to
SMS

Most people would have no idea where to go to buy a Speed Queen commercial washer. They don&#39;t sell them at appliance stores, you have to go to laundromat supply house like PWS.

Many people buy commercial appliances, at high prices, for home use for very good reasons, including kitchen and laundry appliances.

There is no question that an $800 Speed Queen commercial machine (a real commercial machine not the line of commercial-like machines with the Speed Queen name) would last 2x the time of a $400 machine, with no repairs. And look at all the fools spending $1000 on a residential front loader that will be lucky to last even five years before requiring repairs.

Another issue with the Speed Queen commercial machines is that you get no warranty on labor, only a three year parts warranty. These machines are very easy to repair, and laundromat owners do their own repairs so they don&#39;t care about a labor warranty.

I have a Speed Queen commercial machine at home, in a rental townhouse, and my sister-in-laws have one in a triplex they own. The only work I&#39;ve done on these three machines in 10 years is to increase the cost of a load at the machine in the tri-plex, and replace a broken spring on the coin slide that prevented it from popping back out automatically.

Reply to
SMS

Why are limiting yourself to a top loader?

You can get front loaders for just a little bit more (high 6&#39;s, low

7&#39;s) and you&#39;ll make up the difference in a very short amount of time by using less water, less soap and less gas or electricity drying them.
Reply to
DerbyDad03