Best solution for putting dirt against a vinyl sided wood building.

I would like a raised flower bed against a new building that is slightly downhill. Once sided I would like rocks and dirt up the siding about 12 inches. Now putting something in front of the siding is possible but I would rather seal behind the siding right into the ground to keep water away. The actual wood of the building right now is above the ground about 6 inches with a slab underneath but the slab is back 4 inches because the building is cantilevered past the slab edge. So in effect there is a space under the building 6 inches high by four inches deep that I would like to keep empty to prevent water getting on top of the slab or into the wood. All the wood under the overhang is heavily tarred as is the slab.

I'm not explaining this very well but I think I need a waterproof long lasting membrane to go from the ground up the wall about 12 inches behind the siding just to be safe. I was considering that rubber ice/water proof roof membrane because I have a half a roll.

Any thoughts

Reply to
Paul

It's a workshop on a slab that is 6 inches above ground. Termites we do not have. Mice would be the only critter and they are under control. This is a dry area except for winter snow run off which runs right down to the slab from a good portion of the yard. Maybe I'll just put down a foot wide of crushed rock and then build a concrete curb about 6 inches high.

Reply to
Paul

You explained it well enough.

Allow me to be the third poster to say,

Don't do it!

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

Yeah- Bad Idea. You never want to have wet dirt next to, and higher, than wood. Even if the siding and roof membrane never fails, you are asking for condenstion to build up in the dead space, not to mention all the creepy crawly things that will find themselves a home in there. Can you say Termite Path? There should ALWAYS be foundation showing above the dirt line. If you want a planting bed there, build a raised planter, but hold it back from wall a couple feet or more, to keep building wall dry. You can put down landscape fabric and gravel between to avoid having to mow there. If I am understanding your post correctly, you didn't make the stub walls on the foundation tall enough to clear your desired finish grade. This a detached garage or something?

aem sends....

aem sends...

Reply to
ameijers

Bad idea. Build a four sided box maybe a foot away from the house so there will be some air circulation. Better yet use movable wood containers.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan