Best method to install beadboard on cathedral ceiling

Hi, On my new family room addition, I am considering installing beadboard for the cathedral ceiling (cedar beadboard). The GC claims that on the cathedral ceilings he was done in the past, he just nails it to the joist. Seeking out the advice of a carpenter (not part of the projects) and the framing cpaenter on the job, told me have him put up some plywood as sheathing then nail the beadboard to that for two reasons.

1) Don't have to worry about where your nail the beadboad 2) Acts as an extra layer of protection between the outside sheathing/insulation.

So if I go with the plywood method, I guess 5/8 inch plywood should work, and should I have him staple rosin paper to the plywood to act as a relief between the beadboard and plywood (same principal of a wooden floor

thxs

Reply to
Sir Topham Hatt

The plywood does make things easier as you do not have to hit the studs. You DO have to hit the studs when installing the plywood. IMO using plywood is a bit excessive and adds a lot of unnecessary weight. 5/8" is heavy. 1/2" or even 3/8" would be OK if your insistent on using ply. What is the thickness of the beadboard? Individual pieces I assume. FWIW - You can also get beadboard sheets.

Now, if you are installing the beadboard parallel to the rafters then you must use plywood since there will be nothing to nail to every 24 inches.

Reply to
No

I don't worry about that without the plywood. I just hit the rafters. It's not a big deal.

Protection from what? What's bouncing up against your ceiling?

There's no need to add plywood. There's no need for protection, there's no need to add the weight, there's no need to go to the expense. Have you priced how much plywood you'd need? I'm sure for that amount you'll learn to hit the rafters.

If you're running the beadboard parallel to the rafters, use 1x3 strapping nailed perpendicularly to the rafters on 16" centers. It goes up fast and will be cheaper and easier to install then the plywood.

RicodJour