Benjamin Moore still the only paint to buy?

I'm planning to repaint my exterior wood trim this year, ten years after the last paint job. No scraping or priming this time around - it's just a little weathered on the south side of the house. Ten years ago, Benjamin Moore seemed to be the only paint that the pros would use on their own houses. Is that still the case, or has something better come along in the last ten years?

Reply to
Mike Hartigan

Mike Hartigan wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@newsgroups.comcast.net:

Boy, are you opening up a can of worms!

Consumer Reports does regular paint evaluations. The results invariably come out that all brands are OK, but that some brands are slightly better than others. The brand on top changes every time they run the tests, because the manufacturers are always tweaking their formulas. All the brands are usually acceptable. None are found to be garbage. These are accelerated tests, because they obviously can't wait 15 years to report on 15-year paint. It won't even be sold any more. In fact, many of the particular types of paint in the test are no longer available when the report comes out.

Every painter has his preferences. I like Sherwin-Williams because the paint is pretty good, the store is conveniently located, I get a good discount there, the people treat me right, and they have free coffee. I don't use SW's contractor-quality paint, because it doesn't cover as well as their other grades. I'd rather spend more on the paint and not have to sometimes do three coats. If a client wants to use another brand, that's OK with me--they just wind up paying more.

A wise painter once told me that with good paint, you'll pay a little more, then repaint in 5-7 years. With cheap paint, you'll pay a little less, then repaint in 5-7 years.

Reply to
Steve

You cant go wrong, all companies redo formulas to get better B.M does it too. I wouldnt trust consumer reports on "accelerated " tests since you know Bmoore is good.

Reply to
ransley

It does appear that CR tries to cover this situation by discarding the results of tests on a formulation that is no longer available. It is of course possible that a tested formulation is still available when that issue of CR goes to press but no longer available by the time you buy that issue.

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

I used Benjamin Moore on my exterior 8 year ago and Sherwin Williams on the interior five years ago. I found the BM to be adequate for exterior, the service to suck but their numbers were spot-on. The SW paint was superior for my interiors, the cost was good, and service OUTSTANDING. I will go back to SW because of convenience, cost, and service for future painting jobs.

The Ranger

Reply to
The Ranger

Decent paint, but there are better ones, like Devoe and Martin-Senour, which you'll find by calling around to hardware stores or paint specialty stores. They're amazing products.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom