Battery Leak

I had a battery leak in a flashlight, but caught it quickly so not a lot of damage to the aluminum case. I cleaned it with a wire brush and alcohol, but now the batteries are corroding in two days. Any ideas on how to neutralize the corrosion?

Mike D.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Mix some baking soda in hot water (as much soda as the water will take without coming out of suspension) and pour into flashlight battery compartment and let sit there for 10-30 minutes, then rinse with warm water and then with a final rinse of alcohol.

Reply to
Home Guy

Hmmm... sorry, but really you didn't catch it early at all.

As another poster mentioned, the baking soda and water might help, but don't allow it to get into the switch assembly.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

The batteries are rusting and loosing the shine on the bare metal.

Reply to
Michael Dobony

Common vinegar does well, but you have to test sample it and see if it will affect any anodized areas, or others. Then, there is the cleaning of small interior hard to reach places, usually with a synthetic tube brush that will get the remainder. Common water is good, and distilled if you're picky.

My experience is that sometimes the affected area may be so deep or inaccessible and irreparable, it's just best to bury it in the back yard next to Sparky who got hit by the school bus.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Given your situation, I would simply send the flashlight to the battery manufacturer to take advantage of their warranty. If the batteries are a non warranty type, it would be appropriate to simply discard the corroded item and buy a new, maybe better, one. Your time has value...use it wisely. Your call.

JB

Reply to
Joe

Have you checked postal package rates lately? Unless he has a particularly expensive flashlight, the shipping costs might not be worth the price.

Reply to
Peter