Bathroom & Kitchen

I will be remodeling my bathroom and kitchen soon. I plan on going to Home Depot or Lowes for estimates.

Anyone have any input on using either of these companies?

John

Reply to
John

thanks Peter.

Reply to
John

Go to them to get the basic plan started. it will give you a general idea what to expect. then take it to a real cabinet maker and let them fix the overlooked mistakes.

besides they get paid regardless of the sale of the cabinets. cabinet makers would be wasting their time if they don't get the sale.

this way every one is happy!

M.C. "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it".

Reply to
Mike Columbo

Reply to
mike

Yes, yes, yes. I agree. The average human does not have the skill, intelligence or experience to do things like drywall mud, twist on fittings, caulking guns, and the like. It is better to leave it to the pros and pay through the nose.

However, if you consider your self a not normal not average human being (not to be confused with abnormal), you may want to try these things. Classes are offered and books are printed on the subject. I heard tell there is even a newsgroup on the Internet regarding just such topics. If you are daring, you may want to try some of it yourself. Why be average?

Or you could just get out the KY and checkbook.

Steve

Reply to
Desert Traveler

I am planning to get new kitchen cabinets sometime soon and have been looking around, too. One of my neighbors got her cabinets at Home Depot and she is pleased with them - her husband installed them.

I took rough measurements and went down there to talk to someone about getting an estimate. The HD here has contractors that will install them for you if you aren't a DIY... and we aren't now ... anyway, the person we talked to was really inexperienced I think because she came up with a kitchen plan without any cabinet drawers. She also moved the stove over a few inches and we have a vent that goes through the ceiling and outside and I am not at all sure you can play around with that one.

The kitchen planner (I later learned) was on vacation and maybe I'll try one more time...if the custom made cabinet company turns out to costs too much.

Good luck with yours.

Dorothy

Reply to
Dorot29701

If you had seen some of my attempts at home repair you would laugh. I really don't know what I am doing. Just looking for a little advice right now.

Reply to
John

Sounds like a good idea.

Reply to
John

John,

There've been a lot of threads here concerning using Home Depot or another big box store as the GC for remodelling. The consensus seems to be don't.

Generally, the box stores pay low and slow for installs ... thus, the contractors they get are the ones who are worth less, so to speak.

I do kitchens, baths and basement development for a living.

Here's a list of trades or skills you'll need for a complete remodel

Reply to
bambam