Bathroom floor replacement question

The vinyl has been coming up in a bathroom for about 10 years (house is

  1. Clearly not a good job in the first place, and now I'm replacing it finally. I'm hoping to use the glue-down strips of vinyl that look like wood -- a friend used that and it looked great. The current floor has come up, and I'm not sure if I'm better off sealing what I have (plywood) after smoothing it well, or putting down some 1/4" plywood and using that as a new base.

Currently there is some grey filler-looking material that's under there; I'm taking it all up, partly because half of it's coming up anyway (did I say the original builder didn't do a great job?). The idea is to end up with bare wood, put some kind of sealer (epoxy paint?) and then glue down the strips.

It's not leakage that's causing the flooring to come up, I'm pretty sure

-- the worst place is at the doorway, which is farthest from the tub and toilet. The best place in the flooring is around the toilet, which did have one leakage episode about 7-8 years ago, which is now fixed.

So -- is cleaning, smoothing, sealing, and gluing the way to go? I could also do sheet vinyl, but I already have this stuff, and I know it looks nice when it's down. If, on the other hand, putting down any sort of pieces is a bad idea (I see it in apartments and they seem to hold up OK), I'd appreciate someone letting me know.

thanks Wendy

Reply to
Wilkinson

Wilkinson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hal-pc.org:

It's probably leveling compound. You'll want to make sure the floor is level before putting anything down (on the bare wood)

Reply to
Brad Bruce

snip

Can't answer your questions, but I will be putting my own bathroom floor down soon. Where do you get vinyl strips? It sound like a good floor.

Reply to
tnom

If the floor is sound and you fill the voids (to a level smooth surface) created by the grey goop removal, and seal the floor to create a clean dry dustless surface you will probably be okay. The recommended procedure is to add new underlayment for the same purposes. Most of the self stick products don't work quite as well in wet areas. Sorta depends on how careful you are. Ceramic tile or sheet vinyl are all I will use in rental unit bathrooms.

What brand is wood look floor tile?

Reply to
Colbyt

They're Kingsport vinyl strips. At least that's what it says on the box... And thanks

Wendy

Colbyt wrote:

Reply to
Wilkinson