Bathroom exhaust fan combo

I did not notice that the master bath did not have an exhaust fan until after I closed. The ceiling has a light fixture, so I could install a combo fan/light unit. But I wonder how those work. This bathroom is on the second floor with an attic above it, so alternatively I could install a separate fan and leave the light as is Either way I will wire everything together to save installing a second switch on the wall. Anyone have comments on combo fan/light units? Lowes has a Harbor Breeze Aster unit that looks promising.

Pete

Reply to
Pete

They come with or without. Take your pick

Reply to
RBM

I recommend that you look for one that is as quiet as possible. They all will sound a lot louder when you get them installed in your home.

Make sure it is vented outside, not into the attic. You can vent through the roof or in some cases out the overhang. Don't vent where the damp air may come back into your attic.

Don't limit you choices to the big box stores. Remember they tend to carry the low end products.

Good Luck

Reply to
jmeehan

You can get any combination of light, exhaust fan, heater, and night light. You probably would want to replace the ceiling light fixture with a fan-light combination unit. You can wire both the fan and light to one switch, and they will, of course, operate together.

A better way is to put the fan on a timer so it can run for a half-hour or so after you leave and shut the door, to help reduce the humidity and resulting mildew, dry rot, and rust in the bathroom. Of course, this would require a two-gang box and a new 3-wire-plus-ground (12-3G) cable from the box to the fixture.

The quality is generally inversely related to the noise and price. If this is your residence, and you own it, I would spring for an extra-quiet model.

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Tony