Bathroom addition/remodel Advice On Cost Please

Hi,

We currently have a small area with a toilet and a shower/tub. It shares a common wall with an adjoining bedroom.

Our plan is to remove the toilet and shower tub. Blow out that wall to give us access to the bedroom and essentially make the old area an entry into the new bathroom.

In that bedroom (12 X 10), we plan on putting in a soaking tub, walkin shower with no door and a walkin closet. The existing toilet will be moved into the room. For the soaking tub, we plan on popping out a 8 foot section of the outside wall to accommodate the tub and give us a little more room to work with. That's going to have it's own little roof as well.

Our blueprints call for a small extension of our foundation to allow for the tub. That's a problem because it requires us to move an existing water feature, sprinkler lines and sprinkler wiring.

One of the contractors that looked at the plans said he didn't see the need for a foundation because the center of the tub sits on top of the existing foundation. He said he would see if he could just extend the floor joists instead.

Along with the added bathroom we will be sectioning off an existing grand room to make an 8 X 8 den area with french doors for access. We understand that a light switch has to be moved and a plug put in for each of the new walls. But, that's about it for that part of the project.

The first contractor said it would cost about $25,000 on the high end for both rooms depending on what tile, fixtures, etc. we selected for the bathroom additions.

I think that sounds about right. I can't see the 8 X 8 room costing more than $5,000 on the high end. But, I can see the bathroom extension costing anywhere from $10,000 to $20,000. That's a significant variance.

So, am I in the ballpark or do I need therapy?

Thanks

Reply to
Lefty

It depends very heavily on where you are (what part of what country, and on what details are specified. I can see that you could get the

8X8 for $5000. I could also see it being done for $500 (just a few 2X4's and some drywall, right?), or for $50,000.

As for the bathroom job, I'm thinking it could be anywhere from $20,000 to $200,000.

Reply to
YesMaam27577