Bath tub chip repair

I just applied the porcelain chip repair in my bathtub. Now, after it dries (perhaps a day or two), it will show as a blob. What is the best way to buff it down so it's smooth? Also, while on the subject, the bottom of my bathtub has become quite rough, due to a mat I kept there for a number of years. Is there any way to make it nice and slippery as the sides? Maybe with some enamel spray and buff?

Thanks in advance...

Vijay

Reply to
vbajwa

I doubt if there is anyway of eliminating the blob without redoing it. As for the mat, that is a problem. I suggest some automotive polishing compound. I don't think you want to use any spray enamel or other product as the results are likely to be worse that what you have. If you want to save the tub and not replace it, call in a professional refinishing outfit. They do a good job. It is not the same as a new tub, but it does cost a lot less.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Thanks Joesph, I took your advice and am getting my bathtub re-finished for $395. Probably about a fraction of the cost of getting a new one. They will do the whole thing. First they apply a bonding agent, then the spray-on follwed by finish and buff. The guy said he can do the whole job in about 5-6 hours, working straight. The other estimate I got was for $500, and he said he'd come back the next day to buff. Wonder whether there;s any difference...

Thanks for the advice! Vijay

Reply to
vbajwa

Good Luck.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

On the subject, I have scheduled the refinishing and chip repair job with a MiracleMethod

technician. Anyone have any experiences with this kind of repai? The key thing which differentiates them from the other guys is how they prep the tub for the painting. They use a MM-4 bonding agent, which goes on top of the porcelain (after some prep and cleaning) instead of using an acid etch method which damages the tub and maybe your plumbing (apart from being env, unfriendly and plain dangerous). The rest of the process of applying multiple coats and hardening/buffing is similar.

Thanks for any feedback.

Regards, Vijay

Reply to
vbajwa