Basic electrical question

Wiring my basement. I've got 20 amp circuits using 12/2 wire. The rough wiring passed the town's inspection. I need to wire two troffer lights. Due to their location, I need to use the armor cable to wire the lights to a junction box. Since I don't have the tools for the armor cable, I found a pre-wired 6 ft whip at HD. The wire in the whip is 14/2.

Questions: Can I use this whip to connect the light to the 20 amp circuit at a junction box? Are there such things as 20 amp light fixtures? I had to use 20 amp plugs and switches, but I've never seen such a thing as a 20 amp light fixture.

Thank you for your time.

Reply to
Jack

You can do it, but you will need to use a 15 amp breaker on that circuit. The breaker is supposed to protect the circuit, not what is connected to it. A 14 gauge wire is rated for 15 amps, so that is all you can use for a breaker.

Bill

Reply to
BillGill

*All you need for BX or MC cable is a hacksaw and a pair of diagonal pliers. You strip the cable back by cutting the armor with the hacksaw at an angle. You then twist the armor off. I use diagonals or BX cutting pliers to trim the sharp edge. That is how it was done before RotoSpilts were invented.

To answer your question; No you cannot use 14/2 on a 20 amp circuit. Light fixtures are usually rated only for the load that they will carry.

Reply to
John Grabowski

I'd also remind the poster to pick up a pack of the red plastic bushings that you're supposed to use on the ends of armored cable.

Chip C

Reply to
Chip C

I'd also remind the poster to pick up a pack of the red plastic bushings that you're supposed to use on the ends of armored cable.

*Good point Chip. The antishort bushings usually come with a roll of BX or MC. I don't know if they are supplied with prefabricated whips.
Reply to
John Grabowski

Tools? I just bend it till the spiral pops, then use standard wire cutters to clip the spiral, trim it square, put in a plastic anti- shorting bushing at the end before it goes into the box connector.

I rarely see an electrician in Chicago do it any other way than this. Ive never seen anyone use a hacksaw either because its so easy with the bend pop and clip method I described.

Reply to
windcrest

I agree with the other posters who say that the tools required are very basic. You should expect to need some tools when doing your own wiring. But that being said, if you want to use the whips, you can replace the wire in them. Just attach your 12/2 wire to the wire in the whip (e.g., by twisting them together) and pull through. --H

Reply to
Heathcliff

Reply to
Jack