baseboard heat antifreeze

There is an anti freeze for boiler systems but it is non toxic. you can't use car anti freeze in a boiler especially if it has a tankless water heater in it. you also need to know the total gallons in the system so you know how much to put in.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail
Reply to
hvactech2

Is there such a thing ? can you use car anitfreeze in the system ? Thanks Joe

Reply to
GIOVANNA PERLES

If you do decide to introduce poisonous chemicals to the system, be sure to put in a backflow preventer. While rare, it is possible under the right conditions for the heater water to be at a higher pressure than household water and back up into the drinking water. Many communities now require them by code.

I don't see why it would not work but I don't see much need unless you leave the building unheated. Many industrial heating/cooling systems have glycol in them.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Why do you want antifreeze, are you going to turn off the system, antifreeze will lower the efficiency of your system, just as in your car

50-50 is recommended not 100% antifreeze, water transfers heat more efficiently.
Reply to
m Ransley

If you keep it moving there's little or no need for antifreeze.

Reply to
wkearney99

If you're going to be adulterating your hydronic-system water with anything that didn't come out of the municiple water-supply, then there should be an air-gap between the two.

Reply to
Goedjn

Yes pretty common, around here, to use it. Used a lot in seasonal homes that get shut down the middle of winter, but also for those that have a problem with a seldom used zone freezing. There is a special, non toxic, antifreeze you are supposed to use if you are connected to a municipal water supply. I know some that use dexcool.

Reply to
calhoun

According to calhoun :

It's better to use a non-toxic antifreeze regardless of what you're connected to. Municipal water or not, you don't want automotive antifreeze in your house plumbing.

Non-toxic antifreeze doesn't cost very much. Lots of places carry it (ie: swimming pool places where freezing temperatures are possible, or RV service places). Cheaper than DexCool by a substantial margin I think.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

I've already read most of the other replies, but the one question I didn't see was WHY? If there is a special reason, like a 3-season cottage that gets shut down during the winter, that's fine.

The point I want to make is if you add anti-freeze to the system, be aware that you may need to change the pump/circulator. Anti-freeze is thicker (more resistant to flow), even diluted, and circ that's already there may not be able to heat the place as well, if at all. Another thing, some boilers have 'elastomeric' o-rings that will not tolerate the chemicals in the anti-freeze. Oh, and you may discover leaks in the system that never showed when it was running with plain water (don't ask me how I know....).

Reply to
HeatMan