Barn Neutral Saga Continues (Was Bizarre Electrical)

A single connection, sure...but there is more than the one from the barn to the line pigtail in there and the others _in_the_same_crimp_ don't have an issue. I'm having a hard time imagining that physically.

Reply to
dpb

These are an unusual crimp I've not seen elsewhere...they apparently had a multi-faced die as the shape of the finished crimp isn't just round...I suppose some hot then new gizmo tool of the time.

Reply to
dpb

Oren posted for all of us...

+1 What Oren posted. Plus the fuse holders get overheated and then don't hold the fuse securely. Then they sizzle and snap and smell, if you are lucky.
Reply to
Tekkie®

Oren posted for all of us...

The West coast not so good?

Reply to
Tekkie®

Mayhaps sometimes, but not the problem here....symptoms like that would be quite observable if nothing else in something other than bright and shiny contacts which have verified are so. Plus, have 240V.

Reply to
dpb

Well, turns out we were both sorta' right and sorta' wrong! :)

When I got off the ground and up there I could then see what was hidden from the ground--the others in that big group _are_ in the funky crimp; the barn however is alone with a conventional split nut. From the ground that wasn't visible at all.

Turns out that connection had been loose for quite some time and had sufficient corrosion built up to cause the problem. Took some fine scotchbrite pad material up w/ me and unstranded the loose end and polished them up, did what could on outer surface of the other splice area and used a new connector and voila! all is well.

Surely glad have the lift; a neighbor fell from a ladder and was killed just last week in his barn/shed retrieving some things was going to donate to fundraising auction being held for his grandson of about 5 who's been in Denver for last 2 years undergoing treatment for brain tumor...no good deed goes unpunished, apparently. :(

Anyway, to finish this off, it was, in the end, pretty mundane having started with my brain cramp of not thinking of the mechanical carrier cable being the neutral--one of those "know better, just not thinking" moments.

Reply to
dpb

The local power company uses type ACSR as the neutral/grounded messenger. This translates as Aluminum Conductors with Steel Reinforcement. Damn hard cut!

Reply to
Mr.E

Congratulations !!! You finally found the problem.

Did you use that grease that's supposed to prevent corrosion? (I dont recall the name of it). If not, I'd tape it real well to prevent future corrosion. Rubber tape is recommended over the common "electrical tape". Then you wrap over the rubber tape with the common stuff to keep it fron unwrapping.

The connector being loose caused arcing which just caused more corrosion to occur.

Reply to
Paintedcow

That is what the manual says.

Where I worked we had one that would go about 60 feet and another one made by Mark Lift that went to about 60 feet. When you get the boom out that far at around 45 deg and around 600 pounds on them (think that is what one was rated at) you want a lot of weight holding it down.

I have driven and used both of them lots of fun at 20 or 30 feet, but at 60 feet it gets some what shakey when moving the bucket around. I only used them about 5 or 6 times a year, so not enough to get comfortable while the boom is all the way out.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I thought I had a 60-footer located but it got taken off the market for local sale, apparently. This will just reach the eaves of the barn cupola so that to get up there I still had to set up scaffolding (took two high) and a walkboard. I've yet to finish the very top flashing and there were a couple of broken lightning rod globes so they've not gone back up yet, either. I'd love to not have to get the scaffolding back up there again...

But, when I was looking was when I still hadn't bit the bullet and done the seal kit for the main extend and lift cylinders but finally just took it to the Deere dealership in town we deal with all the time and had them done. With that now done it's harder to justify the extra outlay... :)

I really don't know what I'd do without it around the place now any more, though. Besides the barn, the old house is 2-story 1:1 pitch so anything up there is also a real trick; you _can_ stay on it, but it's spooky when younger and now it's a "no way!"...

Reply to
dpb

On 11/05/2015 6:38 PM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote: ...

Not that big actually as compared to a modern tractor or combine...most of that weight is in the counterweight--at 40-ft, there's a sizable moment arm you got's to counteract...

The JD 8400 is just under 20,000; the 9660STS combine is 30,000+ w/o the header (that part on the front that does the actual cutting) plus 250 bu wheat when the bin is full is 15000 lb if it's only test weight of 60 lb/bu; it often runs test weights greater than that.

So, the lift is pretty small stuff in the overall scheme of things... :)

Reply to
dpb

On 11/05/2015 6:35 PM, dpb wrote: ...

I was going to attach the following link...

Reply to
dpb

I have the knowledge and ability to do most any electrical stuff, but I dont have a lift. I refuse to go on a pole with a ladder. Safety is one reason, fear of heights is the other. I'd rather pay someone to do it.

That cable is called TRIPLEX. 2 insulated, 1 bare support wire. That support wire is very strong and I've wrecked several cutters trying to cut it. I dont know what kind of metal they use, but it's hard to cut. An angle grinder is probably the best cutting tool.

By the way, you said that lift weighs 12,000 lbs. Are they really that heavy? That's 6 tons and is one huge machine..... I've never owned or used one of them.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I had my house re roofed this summer. Eight Mexicans showed up to do the job. The pitch is almost that great, close to 45 deg. One side of the house is only one storry off the ground,but the other side is about 25 feet off the ground. They carried all the shingles up ( about 28 squares) by hand. Did not use any safety ropes. They did throw a couple over the roof and when carrying some up, might grab the rope with one hand. I was sure one was going to roll off, but they did it without problems. Seemed to do a good job too.

I started to go on the roof years ago, but chickened out. I am not afraid of heights, put up a 60 foot ham radio tower doing all the tower work and climbed up the outside of 100 foot silos at work. I just need to feel safe on what I am standing on. I try to stay off extension ladders. Just can not help feeling the bottom will slip.

Reply to
Ralph Mowery

I looked at Deere's site. An S650 is about $366,000 without header. I think the grain bin is about the same size.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Thanks, helps others out here find similar problems.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I've heard of Noalox, but also that has caused some problems for me. Dielectric grease at Advance Auto parts (in tubes with the RTV aisle) is good and less expensive than smaller tubes.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

I knew those combines were heavy, but never imagined they weighed that much. Today's farm equipment is so darn big compared to the older stuff. I often wonder if they really need such big equipment, but I know they are doing many acres and need to do it quickly. How they can afford that stuff is another matter????

I live on a small farm, and most of what I do is just small scale compared to these modern farms. Since I'm retired, I dont intend to expand. I have 2 old tractors. A Farmall M and an Allis D17. Small tractors compared to the modern stuff, but in their day, they were top of the line and did all the work for a whole farm. But back then most farms were less than 100 acres. Yet, I can bale hay with what old machinery I have and that's really all I do as far as crops. It's just feed for my own animals.

Reply to
Paintedcow

I am afraid of heights, but I can go on a roof that's not too steep, or will go up a ladder but 25ft is about my limit. But the ladder MUST be against a solid wall. Round power poles are a NO-NO. When that ladder starts to walk around the pole due to the roundness, I'm not going up there.

The way to keep an extension ladder from slipping on the ground is to park a tractor or pickup truck there and put the bottom of the ladder against the tractor loader or truck bumper. To make it even more secure, tie it to the loader or bumper. I always do that if I'm going higher than about 9 or 10ft.

I've had more problems with step ladders being used outdoors. I had one on a deck with a thin layer of snow. I went on the nearly flat deck roof to shovel off the snow. When I finished the shovelling, I steped on the ladder, it slipped and then one of the legs bent and I went down with that damn aluminum step ladder (11ft). I ended up in the hospital. Luckily I was not seriously injured. I will never own another aluminum step ladder. I'll trust a wooden one any day over aluminum.

Reply to
Paintedcow

On 11/06/2015 5:59 AM, snipped-for-privacy@unlisted.moc wrote: ...

I did thousands of acres of row crop (milo grain sorghum) w/ an Allis D17 and 4-row lister(*) back in those days...we were farming just over

1000 A then but during farming season with brother and myself and a hired and plus Dad we were never caught up...that was about average for out here then; it takes much more than that now to have a chance.

The size is mandatory now; for commodity crops such as the small grains that are what are suitable for the area it takes a lot of volume to make a viable operation and the size is the only way to have the capacity to cover that much ground. "Farming without a profit motive is gardening." :)

(*) Geezer alert: We planted as above with 4-row, knifed 6 and harvested 5; you had to drive straight and even rows or the loss in the next step was unacceptable. No GPS then, either!!! :) The tool bar on the lister was so short I one time by chance came out at the end of the row by the power line pole such that I was able to just kiss one side and turn around and set the next row right in line w/o any veering around the pole. On Sundays on way home after church Dad would generally drive around the section checking on work; that day we drove by that field had just finished planting and I was waiting for the reaction...Nothing!!! Then the car stops, backs up and he says--how'd you do that??!!! :)

Reply to
dpb