bamboo florring and concrete subfloor

I'm really attracted to bamboo flooring for my dining room/kitchen area. Can it be successfully laid over a concrete floor? I hear conflicting advice. One said that it must be glued to the floor, but there's no guarantee that it won't move. A search of message boards suggests that it's probably ok. Grateful for any advice! Thanks Chris

Reply to
chris

Got a link for the material? Some flooring types need to expand and contract. Some need a _quality_ glue. Both can be bamboo, I suppose.

-- Oren

Oren

Wooden flooring is generally glued to some sort of cushion and the cushion is glued to the subfloor. If the wood is glued directly to concrete, something's gotta give as the humidity changes. I've heard a wooden floor may expand as much as 1/2" inch as the humidity goes from 30% to 60%.

Reply to
HeyBub

Instead of message boards and usenet, I've a novel thought.

Go to the site(s) of the manufacturer(s) of the product(s) you're interested in and get the skinny on installation from those who are in position to know.

--

Reply to
dpb

Some quality glues have a moisture inhibitor/blocker.

-- Oren

"I wouldn't even be here if my support group hadn't beaten me up."

Reply to
Oren

Over concrete a floating floor installation is usually recommended over a moisture barier layer. You can get click-together bamaboo which is a floating installation. This example is from a Canadian distributer..

Reply to
Jeff

Right. I was refering to humidity in the AIR.

Reply to
HeyBub