Ball park cost for breaker box replacement

And the rest of that is something I've had to get used to. You have to suffer for the failings of others. In this case, that's not getting the estimate because OTHER PEOPLE misuse it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

PaulD

Sounds close to what I'm hearing. I contacted them today and they talked me out of upgrading the box until I was ready to go to 200 A service, so for now they'll install dual grounds, using sufficient copper to allow for future upgrades - although he mentioned that its the same ground for 100A and 200A, and replace all the breakers. He's got a guy coming out to mark the ground spots, locate the utility lines, and then take a quick looky at the box to level-set the job. $191 for the first hour, $91 each additional hour work.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Are parts cheaper in the midwest?

A good square-d panel (with a few included breakers) will cost 200+ here, Pa. Plus additional QO singles are about 5 bucks a piece, and any grounding upgrades will need wire and rod(s) and pipe clamps(about

3 bucks a piece).

So material alone this could be over 300 bucks.

Was it done by a licensed electrician, permit and inspection?

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

IMHO:

Paying a contractor by the hour is dumb(unless they have the hours spelled out in the job description, so you are still only paying by the job). This encourages slop, and waste. They (bad contractors) can trick you into thinking they are being careful, and purposely going very slow. Let me guess they offered to do all the clean up and even vaccuum.

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great

Boy you must really hate contractors, or have had far too many bad experiences. I'm glad I'm not as cynical and world weary as you are.

Reply to
Eigenvector

Trust no one!

;)