balance a washer

It's proably not a "balance" issue, there isn't much to get out of balance.

There could be a centering spring broken.

With the washer off, try pushing the basket front to back and side to side.

If it doesn't return towards center evenly from all directions, start looking for a broken spring.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

My washing machine has developed a problem in the spin cycle that even if it's empty it jerks around as if it's overloaded with everything to one side. Is there a trick to re-balancing these?

Reply to
Mark Corbelli

the legs are adjustable, usually takes a large wrench and laying flat on the floor with a flash light. not really a trick though.

use a level.

Reply to
jthread

Do any still use the old "weight on a cable" system? They were prone to breaking...

--

Reply to
dpb

DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

Groan...that's as bad as I've been known to do... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

re: "weight on a cable"

I was weighting on a cable once. It never came in. I guess I should reorder.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Make sure it is level. Check the inside (usually through the back) for broken, worn or missing springs or friction devices/pads. It's possible that some clothing item got stuck under the agitator or under the washing tub.

Bob

Reply to
Bob F
1) See if it's level 2) sometimes the rubber suports come undone under the basket. I've seen this once. Had to tip the washing machine back, and reach under to put it back together. It had been run overloaded, which caused the problem.
Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sometimes this is intentional. Young lovers will intentionally put in a rug, then wait for the spin cycle. The girl sits on top of the washer ...................

Need I say more?

I'd give it a good hosing down, too.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

re: Young lovers

I wasn't aware that there was an age limit to this practice.

Reply to
DerbyDad03