Bad neighbor solution

Well, maybe not a "solution," but another arrow in the quiver:

"Just outside his sealed bedroom window, beyond the chain-link fence that surrounds his next-door neighbor's yard, sit the reasons David Adams says he can't sleep: two bushy-tailed dogs that bark and howl all night.

"Finally he discovered a Web site seemingly tailor-made for such suburban woes:

If this site gives folks a place to vent, maybe they won't come here?

Reply to
HeyBub

Call the police. That's why there are noise ordinances and police to enforce them.

Mike

Reply to
mkerna

Supersonic sound generator? Drives dogs off their heads! Hard on the dogs but 'might' work? Then there was the neighour who made recordings of the dogs and played them back all day while out at work.

Reply to
terry

This is why we have anti-freeze.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

broken clock springs in hamburger meat (Kurt Vonnegut)

Reply to
jthread

Some people don't live in cities/towns and some have almost no noise ordinances. Austin TX is one of them. Nothing until after 10:00pm.

Reply to
jthread

Oooh...nice. I'll keep that one in mind.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

How do you feed that to the owners (who are the real problem)?

Reply to
George

I don't know if it's just me but that site seems to have a very slow server.

Reply to
jthread

If you can't make the owners behave like humans, and the law won't help you, you have no choice but to kill the dog(s). Everyone knows this.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 11:22:00 -0400, "JoeSpareBedroom" wrote Re Re: Bad neighbor solution:

This is true. However the OP made the strategic mistake of complaining about the dogs. This should never be done because:

1) Dogs barking for a long time and the owner does nothing about it, ergo the owner is not a reasonable neighorbor and will not solve the problem. 2) Multiple complaints to dog owner result in no improvement. 3) Dogs are found in the "big sleep". Guess who is the first suspect?

Again: never complain about dogs if there is even a remote possibility that you will have to take corrective action.

P.S. I live in a rural area and have several dogs.

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Unless you skip 1, 2 and go directly to 3.

Reply to
jthread

Good strategy.

Another kind works, assuming you can be fairly sure you'll get an intelligent cop when the neighbor dials 911 on you: Clearly tell the neighbor "If your doesn't stop doing (whatever), I will kill the dog." You have to have an "if" in there. I did that with a neighbor, and she knew exactly where I live because I pointed to my property and said "That's mine. If your dog keeps crapping in my flower beds, I will kill it."

A cop came to the door and asked "Did you tell your neighbor you were going to kill her?" I corrected him and explained the situation and what I really said to her. He said "I understand. I'll take care of it." He went back to the neighbor's house. Never saw the dog again. I'm guessing he told her "How about you obey the law and you won't have crazy neighbors threatening your dog?"

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Amen on the antifreeze.

S. Barker

On Sat, 28 Jun 2008 10:54:38 -0800, "SteveB" wrote Re Re: Bad neighbor solution:

Bought one of what?

Reply to
Caesar Romano

Not if it is zoned agricultural. (at least where I used to live)

Been there, done that. They would come out and talk to the people but also told me there was nothing they could do. Told me to call animal control to see if the dogs were being abused.

I also had a damn rooster next door that would start crowing at 6am on the dot until 7am, the time I had to get up for work.

Needless to say I got little sleep when I lived in that house.

Thank god it was a rental!

Reply to
Ron

So, you lived in an agricultural zone, and complained about this rooster...

Um- humm.

Next you'll move to a city, and complain about the traffic. Or maybe next to train tracks...

Not that there aren't problems. But sometimes you got to take what you got yourself into.

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Very good. Very, very good advice.

I actually told my neighbor I APPROVE of his barking dogs (I really do). I can't hear them from the bedroom side of the house and they tend - I hope - to discourage burglars.

Reply to
HeyBub

If you're commenting on "The Invisible Dog Trainer (pat. pend.)," it works here, too.

Reply to
HeyBub

Hmmm, Slice of bread soaked in anti-freeze? Works all the time. sorry for the dog having an owner like that. I am a dog owner.

Reply to
Tony Hwang