Back for a day

You must've been reading a book from a fake Mark Twain.

Mark Twain wrote in his book that the houses were built so close together one can traverse the city by jumping from rooftop to rooftop with no need to walk on ground level.

invalid unparseable

This was mark twain's account of his trip through the holy land.

Majority of Americans support Israel and know that it is not the problem that the area is populated with Jews as it would be the same with Christians or anyone that was not Muslim. The murderous Islamic extremist scum need to be removed.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

You do realise that "Innocents Abroad" is a satire, full of irony and hyperbole? Twain was lampooning American tourists travelling abroad.

Janet

Reply to
Janet

This must be the book:

books are free to download for computer or Kindle.

Reply to
invalid unparseable

Looks like it.

I love using historical references before the "Ministry of Truth" had a wack at it to twist things around to their narrative.

Of course. Twain is probably the funniest man that walked the earth.

His description of the emptiness of the holy land was not a joke.

And because the description was before the "truth ministry" had at things, it is accurate. That part was not satire.

Now his description of the wall in Paris being so think you could hear women on the other side changing their minds, means the walls were really thin.

and there is the

“In Paris they just simply opened their eyes and stared when we spoke to them in French! We never did succeed in making those idiots understand their own language.” It does not mean he spoke actual french.

jim.gm4dhj

You do realize, I hope, that the irony and lampooning was only 10 or at most 20% of the book, that the rest was authentic observation by an experienced, wordly traveler. It sounds like you just read a description of the book without having read the book itself.

Reply to
acohen

None of this historical stuff means it was crowded and not the opposite of crowded.

I think the tour guide exaggerates the change in Twain's fame because of this newspaper column/book. He was already well-known from Tom Sawyer etc. and had to do this later in life because he was iirc short of money. You can visit his very nice home in Hartford or W. Hartford Connecticut. It's right next door to Harriet Beecher Stowe's house, which is also open for tours.

Good find. Yes, the whole book is available in one file, and as you say, free! The first 30 or so chapters (the chapters are short) are about his travels in Europe, and then he is on to . He first arrives in Israel in the middle of that chapter, 55.

Reply to
acohen

There are Muslims who still want Spain back because 500 years ago they ccontrolled half of Spain. They are in the leadership of the anti-Israel groups.

Reply to
acohen

Janet's an avid Googler :)

Reply to
Bruce

Humor is a method of telling truth to avoid being silenced.

Tell all the truth but tell it slant — (1263) BY EMILY DICKINSON Tell all the truth but tell it slant — Success in Circuit lies Too bright for our infirm Delight The Truth's superb surprise As Lightning to the Children eased With explanation kind The Truth must dazzle gradually Or every man be blind —

Reply to
deltahorse

I am not active here but very sorry to hear the horrible news.

Reply to
philo

It had humor and some satire, but it's factual reporting was accurate.

You do realize that.

Reply to
micky