audio wiring entering wall but missing a good faceplate..

Hi, I have 4 audio cables entering the wall of my house through a hole that is missing its wallplate/faceplate. These cables go to speakers around the house. Because of this, during winter, cold air comes through this hole. Is there some kind of faceplate that can allow cables to go through it, but yet forms some kind of seal to keep out cold air? There is a J-box in this hole. So I should be able to just screw on an approp wallplate/faceplate.

The size of the hole is the same size as that for a normal 2 socket power receptacle.

Thanks

Reply to
dchou4u

" snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com" wrote on 19 Feb 2008 in group alt.home.repair:

If you Google the various electrical supply pages, you'll find lots of specialty stuff that will fill the bill.

If you want to save time and money, buy a blank plate at your local hardware store and drill holes in it.

Reply to
Steve

I'm usually not a big fan of Home Depot, but they do have a pretty good selection of specialty connector plates for audio. And, in the same part of the store as the weatherstripping, you'll find foam things made to be installed behind electrical plates to cut down on cold air seepage. You'll probably need to customize one using a razor blade.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

I used this when I hooked up the surround sound system in my house. Do a search on speaker wall plate at radio shack to find similar products.

RichB

Beach Trading Company

  1. Serious electronics sore for face plate. Get one that is a solid pass through, sort of like 4 double ended male "F" connectors for 75 ohm coax. Obviously, different connectors for your ado cable - (?RCA jacks ? 1/4 inch jacks?), but thats an example. The conectors pass through the plate, but no bare open holes. Screw the in wall cables to the back of the plate, get 4 more cables to connect from the frnt of the plate to the audio amplifier output.
  2. Before you screw the wall plate to the box, wad up a bunch of newspaper and place it in wall cavity so that its above, below, left and right of the J box. Then squirt some expanding foam insulation into the cavity and fill up the area to kill the drafts.
  3. Screw the plate to the box. c.
Reply to
jJim McLaughlin