Attn Bud ref 5-20 on a 15a circuit.

You are right. I guess everyone just looked at 210.21(B)(3) and assumed that was it but that is only for >1 outlet.

NFPA is going to double down on that in the 23 NEC. The 1st draft has them removing "conforming" from the text and adding "not less than" in the text and changing the table heading to saying "connected to a branch circuit supplying two or more receptacles or outlets" right there, They are also removing "Not over" from the table before "15".

I guess that is the way they want it. I haven't looked at the 23 ROP to see the reasoning yet. It sounds pretty strange to me considering table 210.21(B)(2). It looks like they are encouraging breaking that rule since 5-20 plug caps will be on equipment rated > 12a. If the user sees a receptacle that matches that plug, he will plug it in.

Reply to
gfretwell

The 23 draft

gfretwell

It did occur to me, this whole thing might me moot if it is a 110.3. How are these listed?

Reply to
gfretwell

You probably figured out the argument from the 210 code panel. If anyone is still following, it is: If a factory gets a 415V 3 ph 11A blivet bender and you want to plug it in, you want a configuration that is different from what is in your factory. You could use a 600V 30A configuration plug and receptacle.

480V 15A would be closer, but the higher ratings work and are safe even though the current rating will be higher than the branch circuit rating. It is allowed by 210.

It may violate 406.4-A below, but you could probably talk an inspector into it. There are ways to get 415V (extension cord from UK?).

The obvious problem is when you allow a receptacle on a lower current rated circuit where there are numerous devices that have the higher rated plug - like a 20A 120V receptacle on a 15A circuit. A competent panel could solve both problems.

Removing "not over" is maybe because of new 10A circuits?

Geez - we wuz going for a record number of posts on a simple question. You RUINED it.

Never used that before.

I looked in the UL White book (2014, RTDV, RTRT) and didn't see anything.

But there is reference to 406.3-A (which is now 406.4-A) buried in a recent post. Installation of grounded receptacles

15/20A receptacles "shall be installed only on circuits of the voltage class and current for which they are rated" except as provided in 210.21-B-2 and 3.

It does not allow a 20A grounded receptacle on a 15A circuit. For tagging it should help that the 210 CMP does not specifically allow a 20A.

You can still put a 20A ungrounded receptacle as the only one on a 15A circuit. Oddness remains, but is greatly limited

Reply to
bud--