Attic Ventilation

My attic has a ridge roof vent, but I noticed that there is an opening between the roof and the walls at the point where the gutters are located. Is this normal? I am having problems with bees getting into my attic and I'm thinking of blocking the opening, but am not sure if it is required for proper ventilation.

Reply to
Rich Anton

For air to get out (ridge roof vent) air has to get in.

-- dadiOH _____________________________

dadiOH's dandies v3.0... ...a help file of info about MP3s, recording from LP/cassette and tips & tricks on this and that. Get it at

dadiOH

Right. Those are the soffit vents as the hot air is released through the ridge vent cooler air comes in there to displace it. Depending on the vent covers in the soffits try to replace them with screened ones to keep the bees out.

Reply to
Pop

That is just the way it is suppose to be.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Bearing in mind that screening reduces the area available for air to enter and a screen small enough for bees would stop a LOT of air. Ridge vents operate by convection, so:

  1. Put in more soffit vents, or
  2. Put in one or more wind turbines.
Reply to
JerryMouse

I think I found the problem. I have soffit vents, but the board that backs the gutter to the soffit, is damaged or not installed properly. I think that is where the bees are getting in. I think I'll try to put some screening material in to block the gap, but getting to the location will be difficult.

Reply to
Rich Anton

Reply to
Michael Baugh