Attic Insulation - AtticWrap anyone?

Just starting framing phase of my new house. Roof is complex: many cathedral ceilings, dormers with round roof, turrets I definitely need to separate venting chute area from the insulation in the cathedral ceilings and have been thinking about using AtticWrap from DuPont

the same time I started thinking if it would make sense to install AtticWrap throughout the entire roof. This will separate venting section of the roof (eave vents, chute, ridge/hip vents) from the attic space.

- But is it good or bad?

- Should the insulation be applied throughout the attic just below the AtticWrap (effectively insulating the attic) or should it be applied in the attic's floor. If the attic becomes insulated shouldn't it be also ventilated (like any other space in the house)?

- Also, should I vent dormers (roof area less than 25 sq. ft. each)? And what about the turrets (5 ft radius, 18:12 pitch)?

Some additional details:

- Seattle area (higher elevation with lower temps than in the city)

- house will be ventilated using ERV/HRV

- Roof will be architectural asphalt shingles

- Venting will conform with 1/150 rule (core-a-vent products)

Any info is appreciated

Reply to
Martino

It sounds like it will help as far as it goes. If I read it right, it is relying in part on the metallic reflection properties for some of it's value. It has been found that this part of the formula fails in a short time as dust greatly reduces the effect.

If I understand your situation properly this may be a good idea, but I would not substitute it for traditional methods any time they are available.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

If you scroll down on the above url, theres a very informative video on applying this product. Sounds like it's perfect for your home!l

Cheers Dale

Reply to
Whomever

I checked the documentation and videos and indeed they explain things fairly well. Looks like I will use in between rafters insulation in cathedral ceilings and floor insulation in open attic. I think my framer will freak out when I show him what he will be to do :-) Thanks for the comments.

Reply to
Martino

Reply to
Martino