Attic insulation

In my particular house I have that white wool insulation in the attic. It's not blow in insulation, but a definite wool compound. Anyway given a choice, is this type of insulation effective, does it have any problems that I might encounter - like bugs or rodents? I don't live in the Arctic Circle, but I'd rather minimize heat loss in the winter and heat gain in the summer if I can.

Reply to
Eigenvector

I would be more concerned whether or not you have enough, standards and codes were make before energy costs were a major burden. Figure what you have at R 3.5" and look into what is optimal for your area. You can usualy take your code rating and double it and have a great benefit

Reply to
m Ransley

It would be helpful if you could 'ReFluff' the insulation and then cover it with blown in for a total depth of 10 inches.

The same instrument that you use to blow in the insulation will 'Fluff' the wool insulation you have. Or just leave it be.

Rodents love the wool insulation to burrow through, but so what. Just keep rat poison out.

Reply to
JimL

I've purchased insulation that was all white, and that wasn't long ago. Can you give an age of the house?

As for heating/cooling, I added like R30 over my attic existing insulation, and saw drops in both heating and cooling. I make my friends jealious. ;)

later,

tom @

Tom The Great

This kind of insulation is very effective. It does not harbor bugs nor rodents, but I suggest not storing anything organic in your attic. Also this kind of insulation is fire-safety approved.

Reply to
Phisherman

Why nothing organic? I don't store anything up there anyway, but why did you mention it?

Reply to
Eigenvector