Attic Insulation

Hi, My house built in 1994 was R2000 spec'd. Even in dead winter I have to bring in outside fresh air. First thing to do is take a IR picture of the house to id. where the most heat loss is. Our local U. is working on a project using Google earth to analyze heat loss of the house with satellite thermal imaging. SW quadrant of city is covered with the program, when it is completed it will cover whole city. I am in SE quadrant and waiting to try the program myself. You just give address and Google earth focuses down on the house, takes image. Pretty neat program.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

As I previosly pointed out, you don't have to replace them, you can just sister them, ie add on to them. If it's just a space issue, not a load issue, then he could just screw additional wood onto the rafter faces. Replacing them without doing a new roof at the same time, would be nearly impossible.

Reply to
trader_4

Thank too all, for the valuable advice.

I had not considered spay foam/ insulation - certtainly a viable option. Putting a wood strip. upoon each rafter, thereby providing increased depth is an easy, cheap option. As noted, that will allow for significantly more insulation..

If I use the spray foam, will there still be a need to have the noted air ducts?

Thanks a lot, to the many responders -

Reply to
joe