Anyone Have Comcast Cable?

Screen freezes/drop outs, jerky scenes (lasting a minute or more), really gross digial compression artifacts, sound gets out of sync with video, set-top box crashes, thunderstorms... My last two cable setups had some compression artifacts but none of the other issues and Internet speeds were *many* times what I get now (eight years ago I was getting 4Mb).

My DSL sucks (*best* it can to is 768K, and that's a outright lie) and I have no POTS so I'm not pissed about that.

Reply to
keith

I get pretty horrible stuff like that on the digital Comcast channels too. Analogs are OK but they are going away as fast as Comcast an cajole the customers to accept digital.

My DSL has been fairly consistent at the 1.5mb I am paying for and they are telling me I am being bumped up to 3mb. If it is not there, they will have a Century Link truck in my driveway until it is. Phone companies are more strictly regulated than cable companies. They actually have to honor the claims they make. Cable modems are fast when they are running but mine was down a lot.

Reply to
gfretwell

I have a pretty short fuse with this stuff so if it doesn't work out for me the Dish guys will be so tired of hearing from me when I tell them I want to cancel that they will let me. This ain't my first rodeo

I went round and round with the DSL people the first time, eventually breaking the contract with no penalty. The strange thing is they replaced the wire down the road shortly after that, probably because of my bitching and when I fired Comcast and called the Telco again my DSL was running fine.

Reply to
gfretwell
[snip]

Is that channels 2 - 22, and 94-99? These are in the VHF band.

[snip]
Reply to
Gary H

Me? That's about it. Few channels above 21 like EWTN and CSPAN. Also clipped the lower PBS channels here from New Jersey. Comcast gives 2 converters free except you will not get the upper subscription channels like HBO.

Conversion was a pain as they were disorganized on availability of boxes. Wife was told over phone to drive to distribution center but they had no boxes when she got there. We finally got them through mail. Remote sets on my old home strung cable with borderline reception needed new wiring to get signal. Later we needed underground wiring upgrade from street to house.

Then, for some unknown reason, Comcast sent me two more boxes which I insisted they come get. It was a SNAFU.

A couple of days later, UPS showed up with another package from them which I refused to accept. Been two weeks without any more screw ups.

Happy with TV and internet but dealing with Comcast is a nightmare. I hear Verizon fios is worse.

Reply to
Frank

It was the last straw with me. They chopped everything above 30. Most of those below 30 are shopping channels and the locals. I am using Dish and I really like the setup better. I get more channels for less money. The hardware is a whole lot better. With 2 dual tuners, one has dual DVR. and my Replay TV I have 5 separate channels to every TV in the house so any TV can watch any one of 5 selections. Way more than I will probably use. Did I say less money?

Reply to
gfretwell

You have to compare long term prices and what you can negotiate. We keep cable/internet down by getting introductory offers every 6 months. Don't know if you can do this with the dish and I understand fios is near impossible. Our Comcast bill yesterday was a pleasant surprise with the credits we got along with the new introductory rate.

I have heard dish is good except for fading during storms but have also heard dish internet is lousy. Next door neighbor has dish for TV and fios for internet.

Reply to
Frank

I have DSL bundled with the Dish. It is a solid 3meg. I know Comcast says they go a lot faster but they were down a lot and that speed was an iffy thing.

Reply to
gfretwell