anyone ever removed a rolled gable?

Hi, we're facing steep re-roofing on our 1941 home, because the roof is red, and has two rolled gables. These are hard to fit with modern, more rigid shingles, but we don't want to reroof with organic, given what the costs are for the labor.

Our architect suggested replacing the rolled gables with fascia boards, which wouldn't look bad at all, but I am concerned we will shatter the stuccoed-over (to match the house) soffits, which are another problem. retrofitting them with wood and vents is more than we can handle what with other ventilation-associated measures we need to take with the roof - cross-strapping, insulating from the outside, ridge vents, eves venting...etc etc.

Input/ideas welcome.

Thank you!

Reply to
boondoggle

There's always copper. A nice flat-seamed copper roof would only compliment. Tom

Reply to
tom

you are paying an architect, why not ask him?

Reply to
longshot