Another Roofing Question

Yesterday with air temp of 9 degrees F and 15-25 mph breeze, my worn out 64-year-old ass tried to replace the shingles that were torn off. At the very least, the underlayment is covered. In several places, I had to simply nail shingles and so the roofing nail heads are exposed. About an inch of snow overnight wth freezing rain later, and then an

1" of regular rain tomorrow.

Yeah, it's a no-no to have roofing nail heads exposed but is there some type of adhesive that can be used this time of year to cover up nail heads, or must I wait until a 50 degree F day comes along?

PS- Roofer appt. Thursday.

Reply to
Jack W

It shouldn't be a problem if the roofer will be fixing it soon. Otherwise, the asphalt tar type roof sealant will work if you bring along a torch to warm up the area before application and keep it warm for a minute for the sealant to flow. The trigger start torches are a big help for this type of work.

Reply to
Pete C.

Do what Pete said. And, buy a small container of paint thinner or whatever the tar directions suggest for cleaning the tool you smear the tar on with. I don't remember what I used last time I did this. Might've been gasoline, but dickin' around with a gas can in the garage when it's 9 degrees probably isn't on your list of happy things to do.

I wonder if you could clean the tool with vodka, which will certainly come in handy when you start getting estimates for a new roof.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

The sealant should be available in the usual caulking gun cartridge, so cleanup should just be a throw away deal.

Reply to
Pete C.

The exposed nail heads are really not a serious issue. They may in several months get a little rusty, and make rust streaks. I respect you being up on the roof in this cold. That takes courage.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

It is called Black Jack. Accept no substitutes.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

"Jack W" wrote

brrr...

I'd leave it for now, then when it's above freezing (and any ice has melted off the roof), if still pending the work, I'd go up there with some sort of silicone and just touch cover the nails all around. They wont hurt anything for a short time as they are. If it's going to be a month or 2, I'd want to cover them as temp thing.

Reply to
cshenk