Angle Grinders ?

I prefer a router (with a strait edge clamped, as you suggest) for trimming doors. If need be I'll chamfer the edges slightly to clean 'em up.

If the door was sealed to begin with. Mine are simply stained and not sealed. :-(

Reply to
keith

And thank YOU for your VERY good post on a most important point I totally missed. Angle grinders have a lot of things to consider.

I buy my small grinding wheels at HF. The ones they have for 99 cents work as good for me as those expensive Makita ones. But when it comes to wire wheels, I spend the bucks and get Makitas.

IMPORTANT- The older and more worn a wire wheel is, the more wire shards it spits out. When the wires get worn about half down on a cup knot brush, toss it. When the wires get about a third worn down on a straight wire brush, toss it. I have pulled more wires out of my face, hands, arms, and shirt than I can count. I have even found them embedded in tarps and drywall close to where I was working.

As an added caveat to your post, I like to lay my grinder on its back or side, and not down on the wheel. They are easy to crack, and the pieces go flying.

Thanks, Jerry.

Steve

Reply to
SteveB

I have used an angle grinder with wire wheel attachment for removing paint from metal. Nothing else works faster. Yes, the wheels are disposable and you need to stop using them once the strands of wire start coming off.

Reply to
scott_z500

I normally don't recommend cheap tools, but here goes anyway...

Four years ago - in a pinch - I bought a 4in angle grinder from Harbor Freight for around $19. I subsequently used this tool to do a huge amount of metal cutting on an old Mercedes I restored. This job entailed hour upon hour of cutting, sanding, and wire wheel work using that little rascal. Since then, I've used the same tool for scores of jobs including cutting all the rebar for the foundation of a house we're now building. Like the Energizer Bunny, this thing just keeps on going. It hasn't even burned through the original set of brushes, but HF tossed in an extra set to cover that eventuality. This is one tool no shop should be without. Be careful though, it's an easy one to get hurt with. I heard of a guy setting one down on the bench while it was still spinning, only to have it whip around and slice open his gut. Thrown debris and exploding cut-off wheels are also par for the course

- wear goggles or a mask and work gloves. Richard Johnson PE Camano Island, WA

Reply to
Rich-out-West

At work I just received a safety report that I think came from the Australia version of OSHA on a fatal accident with an angle grinder. The accident was still under investigation according to the report. Apparently an individual was using the grinder with a wheel (not sure of type) that was not designed for the grinder. The result was the wheel exploded and pieces penetrated the individuals chest and abdomen, killing him. He apparently was also either not using the gaurd or was using in improperly.

Gary Dyrkacz snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net Radio Control Aircraft/Paintball Physics/Paintball for 40+

Gary Dyrkacz

sears has a 6.5 amp 4 to 9 inch right angle grinder for $24.99

(that's more amps than my 5.0 amp makita 4" angle grinder that cost $60)

Reply to
effi

(that's more amps than my 5.0 amp makita 4" angle grinder that cost $60)

sears amps, like those horsepower claims on shopvacs and tools, are smaller than regular amps used in the real world. further, using more amps is not necessarily a good thing, it just might mean it's less efficient.

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

That it does, and a very appropriate warning as well. But I'm glad I didn't read it before I first used an angle grinder as a kid. :) Would've probably scared me so bad I never would have! I had watched the mechanic sharpen the blades on my 6ft john deere belly mower a couple of times, and then one time he was busy so he asked if I thought I could do it. I've always been quick to learn, so I said sure. He told me where he kept his 11" grinder, pointed out some goggles, and let me go. I noticed later he was keeping a pretty good eye out. Thanks Matt! You taught me a lot. (That pneumatic grease gun sure spoiled me. :)

In a way, other than wearing me out, I think the big, huge grinder was safer than the little 4" I have now. The 11" had enough weight it wasn't going to go flying around, and the spinning parts were heavy enough that they didn't want to stop with a little nick (3 x 26" blades on that belly mower tended to be like cutting grass with the sharp edge of a baseball bat... except for the first hour or two after sharpening).

sdb

Warning left intact:

Reply to
Sylvan Butler