Advice, please, on constantly running refrigerator

Hello all,

My 11-year old Whirlpool ET18NKXDN01 refrigerator always ran a lot and noisier relative to other refrigerators, but recently I noticed it runs pretty much all the time now. The door is not opened frequently, so you'd think it would shut off for long periods of time, but it ran non-stop all weekend.

It is cooling and freezing as it should (middle settings on both), but there is a lot of humidity inside. No water is collecting in the bottom of the compartment, but the sides of the freezer and the food compartment are damp and condensation forms the minute the door is opened. I do not have an ice maker and the tenperature of the room the unit is in is generally around 74 degrees F. I don't know anything about refrigerators but it seems to me like it's stuck trying to defrost the freezer? I vacuumed the coils under the unit as best I could given the limited room from the front; I'd probably have to take the back panel off the bottom of the fridge to get at them (assuming this doesn't damage anything -- the fridge is "working" so I'd hate to run the risk of messing something up.) When I was vacuuming I noticed there was water in the drip pan, so I'm assuming this is not clogged?

I'm trying to determine what I should do. If it's probably something simple, then, fine, I'll call for service. But if there are odds it's going to run me $200+, that would be the motivation for me to go out and try to find a quieter running unit.

If a new unit is the way to go, suggestions for quieter ones are appreciated. When I bought the one I did, I never thought about the noise level it would generate.

Also, if it's on the verge of dying, guesses as to how long I might have to get a replacement would also be appreciated.

Thanks much!

MMoniker

Reply to
MMoniker

Go down and buy you a new one for $475 at Frys or Lowes or Home Depot or Sears. You will save that $475 on your next 18 months of electric bills.

.
Reply to
DK

I had noticed that on my older Kenmore that it seemed to be running a lot. When I had to have the icemaker serviced, the tech completely vacuumed everything ... I mean just about every piece of dust, while waiting for the first spin of the ice maker. I knew it was probably on it's last legs, but heck. It worked a LOT better after that. That was a year ago and it's still going.

Reply to
webber1998

clean the dust off of the outside coils...

they may be on the back or they may be underneath...

be carfull not to break the tubing...

make sure the door gaskets are sealing well.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Thanks all for your advice. I seem to have gotten things somewhat under control as it now actually is off when I come home from work. Probably the combination of dusting the coils and rearranging things inside helped..... But I'll stil start poking about into what new ones are like these days. Thanks again!

MMoniker

Reply to
MMoniker