advice on replacement a/c and copper line to outside

We are replacing our 15 yr old 3 ton Trane 10 seer (still works but not efficient and underpowered) with an American Std 3 1/2 ton heat pump with variable speed air handler 14 seer. Air handler in the garage, compressor outside in backyard about a 16 ft. straight line. The copper used to run underground (straight line); a few years ago we had a leak and before I had a chance to talk with the repair guys they ran a 50 ft length around the garage, through the utility room then out to the back. This has worked but I have always wondered about the efficiency. Since we are going to the expense of repl the old unit I am wondering if it would be worth it (does it even matter?) to run a new line of a much shorter distance 18 - 25 ft depending if we go underground or above. Does this create a higher load? Thanks - Bill

Reply to
Bill

I think when you increase from 3 to 3.5 ton they will probably want to replace the lineset. I think the 3.5 ton will require a 1 and 1/8th inch suction line. And yes I would want a shorter more direct run....I dont know if you would notice much in an efficiency increase but a shorter more direct route leaves less joints in the tubing...hopefully....

Also...a new lineset will leave less chance of leaving behind any contamination from the old system if it wasnt as clean as dry as it should be.

Reply to
cornytheclown

I hesitate to post with someone named "corny the clown" on a matter of technical advice. However, I do also suggest the new line set.

Oh, if your kid's got a hot appendix, please don't save money by having Corny The Clown take it out.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon