Advice on new range

A lot more houses by far, are leveled by electrical problems, and a lot more people are killed that way.

Reply to
salty

I don't remember you writing if you wanted gas or electric. I'd try to see if Consumer Reports has a free online section. Have a look at that. I'd try to avoid anything complicated. Electronic circuits tend to go bad. Having done some appliance repair, the parts house guys call GE "Generally Expensive". Their replacement parts are higher cost than other brands. I also avoid Sears, I personally don't like the company.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Must be a matter of application and where one is located?

Assuming the OP was asking about ordinary domestic use, where the requiremnts are to cook daily normal , meals for several people, conveniently, quietly and safely without wasting a lot of heat to outside through oven hoods etc.

We also use a microwave for quick heating, re-heating etc. And also the usual appliances, e.g. toaster etc. We do use some propane in a camper trailer, but don't drive that much because of the increased cost of gasoline!

For restaurant/haute-cuisine or celebrity kitchens the requirement could be very different.

Electricity here (95%+ generated by clean hydro) has gone up slightly in cost and now averages ten Canadian cents per kilowatt hour. Approx say 8 to 9 cents US. Or around 4 to 5 pence in the UK. Most here use electricity for home heating also.

Have found that even used electric stoves are low maintenance and with electric there no requirements for bottled gas tanks to be so many feet away from doors or windows of a dwelling etc. etc. or gas delivery problems. (There is not piped in gas here although we produce it (and oil) out from wells on the Newfoundland Grand Banks. It's a tough maritime climate but is a politically stable area of the world; compared to say Nigeria or competing with the Somali pirates. But they'd have to come a long way (Transatlantic) to take over a Canadian oil/gas rig!!!!!!

Also to the point is that huge amounts of electricity are generated further north at Churchill Falls (Named after that UK compatriot of FDR) and some of it is exported via Canada to the northern USA. E.g. New York State.

That production is being greatly increased by another project called The Lower Churchill during next few years so the prospect is that politically stable sources of electricity which is less polluting and foreseeably will remain cheaper, especially when electric vehicles become common, is the way of the future.

Regards.

Reply to
terry

Yeah, and people who play the violin just play. I suppose that makes a $100 violin from the pawn shop about the same as a Stradavarius. I provided a survey earlier that showed 96% of pro chefs prefer gas. If it didn't make a rat's ass of difference to them and they think electric and gas are just as good, why is that? I wonder what and how often some of you guys actually cook.

While I have a nice dual fuel

If you want to save money, that's perfectly fine. But it doesn't change the fact that pro chefs and most serious cooks prefer gas.

Reply to
trader4

Curious that you can only find the negatives for gas, and some of them highly dubious at that. It would seem a fair person would get a piece of paper and list the pros and cons for both electric and gas, as opposed to concentrating on one side of the page. Did you help Bush when he was making the decision to go to war in Iraq?

Reply to
trader4

But some Kenmore stuff gets high marks from Consumer Reports (which are in the library).

Lou

Reply to
LouB

Sometimes, you favor or avoid a brand cause you don't like the company. If I read a Consumer Reports, and Sears was the only A+++ rated range, I'd still buy some other brand.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

There are some pluses with Sears. They guarantee most of the products they sell, I found Sears has available parts online. Kenmore is not high-end quality, but often above average. I have seen brand-quality vary over time so what was good 10-20 years ago may still not be good.

Reply to
Phisherman

Cooking and smoking are the two leading causes of fires. Here is number 3

Fires were the 3rd Leading cause of Fire Deaths in Massachusetts in 2006. 579 Electrical Fires Caused 4 Civilian Deaths in Massachusetts in

2006. Local fire departments reported that there were 579 structure fires caused by electrical problems in Massachusetts in 2006. These fires also caused 75 civilian injuries, 92 service injuries and an estimated dollar loss of $26.2 million dollars. The average loss per fire was $45,248.

With over 18 years as a Fire Marshall in Georgetown, Texas, Dan Jansen is an expert in the world of fire safety. During his tenure as a Fire Marshall, Jansen has dealt primarily with fire education, safety and prevention. Jansen said that fires are caused primarily by consumers and homeowners being careless when it comes to dealing with potential hazardous situations. Jansen also said that the most common causes of home fires today usually have to deal with extension cords, heaters and curious children.

"One of the most common fire causing elements is the use of an extension cord in place of permanent wiring ," he said. "Most people are not aware of this danger. People will take extension cords, and they will plug multiple devices into them for long periods of time. Extension cords are designed for temporary use. I have seen something as minor as a small transformer, that works the air compressor for an aquarium, be enough to short out an extension cord."

begin 666 grey_loader.gif M1TE&.#EA%@`6`-4``/+XZ?3Y[)3)2ZO5;RU*_7>MKLP=;KNO[^_;W>D/K\\]J72:>CTV=#HL9G,5/G\\ M]/O]^.3QTNKTW)S.6=[NR-CKO*R\\"A:"+B M$P:L640'&P60(AN-6Q$T+2TEE%LB$Q,T$)M.$P:E,J)-!B.K#JA$+20\\ M/"BN0R4/N!.U0@L/`[^TNR,#*BH/,[LH*A4,# ,@NS3-,!T8*BT0'Z(6(]35 M,0([#:@^!M_AXK4E*N#BX[4'(2,,X91!`"'Y! D*````+ `````6`!8```:Z M0(!P"'! 0J#+ snipped-for-privacy@.HN$&4*(%"J(BG^00 T)2X'*PX+:BX*3$,?#SQ^+1YM"HH;#D,&#XX3'%U"#@X^ M,B\\`$ .G#Q^>0SX6')TB*BH#!JM#!R\\O33P5O26VMX0`%0S%+L!"*T,,,,V2 MR$0#'=,BT$03&-D#UD,H,=\\""=Q>%0+F,,_6"0([.PT=XP`\\[@WQ`#,J]?;W M^_W^0D$``"'Y! D*````+ `````6`!8```:P0(!P"%BP:".#"#4C.H0YG#UV`L'4RL .'HD75]78@

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Shears used to, and probably still uses off spec parts. So if you want a set of breaker points for a Sears Tecumseh engine, the ordinary Tecumseh points won't work. I'm sure they do a lot of things like that to keep the parts traffic coming back. But, not *MY* parts traffic.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon