advice for leaking basement new house

Several months ago I posted our concern regarding cracking in the basement cement block walls about every 5 feet or so, mostly verticle cracks. We did have 2 structural engineers come look at the cracks. Engineer #2 was most thorough, stating the cracks need to be watched over the winter for extending in width and length. After reviewing the specs and drawings for the house he thought the cracking may be from only 1 ft of stone over the outside perimeter drain tiles and then backfilled with clay soil. The external pressure of the clay soil pressing against the basement walls causing the cracking. Living in northern Ohio we have snow and last week 1 day of thawing. A few days ago we noticed one of the large cracks is now dark stained about 1 foot on each side of the crack all the way to the floor and about a

4-6 inch area outward onto the basement floor at the bottom of the crack. This is water staining. The exterior of the walls are parging and tar. I notified the builder via email and attached pics of the situation as well as other darkened areas on the walls from excess moisture. All previous issues presented to the builder including the cracking of the basement walls and cracking of the exterior cultured stone the builder states are "normal". The builders repair rep is coming out to look at the present situation. We know they won't have a viable solution. There is an arbitration clause in our building contract which puts us in an unfortunate position. How would others respond when the builder states there is nothing they can or will do regarding the water migration thru the block walls? I do not find a waterproofing warranty in our contract. We are extremely discouraged. We also recognize the water infiltration will affect resale. The house we were so excited to build has become the house from hell. Thanx in advance for all input.

bj

Reply to
campn4fun

I wasn't aware that block basement walls were used in basement walls, anywhere, anymore. I don't remember ever seeing a basement block wall that didn't have a crack somewhere. Reinforced poured concrete pretty much solved that problem, didn't it? I had a house with a horizontal crack running the length of the wall with the walls bulging inward. The worst kind of crack, I'm told. I bought the house in 1968 and my brother in law now owns it. Wall still bulging but never caved in. Definitely clay soil around it, too.

Tom G.

Reply to
Tom G

Install interior french drain. Did you check on builder before purchase. If he has good reputation hopefully he WILL fix it.

Call structural engineer may be worth his taking 2nd look

Reply to
hallerb