Advice for converting Sears Craftsman 220V compressor plug to washing machine plug

Isn't a ground for the compressor NEMA 6-20P plug the same as the neutral for the dryer NEMA 10-30R receptacle?

Actually, I should have mentioned, there is no sharing. There is no dryer on this spare receptacle in the garage. The dryer is on a separate NEMA

10-30R in the house. I do agree that unplugging a dryer once every six months to use the compressor would be a pain.
Reply to
Elmo

Elmo wrote: ...

Assuming the adapter is compliant it isn't...

The compressor motor will have it's own overload protection.

That's all the circuit breakers protect against for anything plugged into them; there's no difference in the case of the dryer being plugged into the outlet as the compressor; the internal dryer motor isn't a 30A device by any stretch, either.

Correct, and in fact w/ the compressor being a 240V load only, there is no need for and no neutral current. The shared conductor is serving only the ground function at that time, just as would the third conductor in a 20A plug connection.

No...the others are simply incorrect in understanding of Code and perhaps even function of three-wire dryer circuit...

--

Reply to
dpb

I wondered about that. Does the "code" cover temperary adapters?

Doesn't the code only apply to the wiring in the walls?

This is an adapter, which is not permanently connected.

And, the wiring is the same, either way, as far as I can tell. The only ground/neutral difference I see is the NEMA 6-20P ground for the compressor is connected to the NEMA 10-30R ground/neutral for the dryer. But isn't that dryer neutral connected directly to ground anyway at the panel on the other side of the wall?

And, the 20-amp rating for the compressor is connected to a 30-amp breaker instead of a 20-amp breaker. But, that will still protect the wiring in the wall from 30 amp surges (it just won't protect the compressor).

Right?

Reply to
Elmo

"Elmo" wrote>

But I bet they cheapened it and now is made in China, or at least major parts of it

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

It was my fault for not explaining clearly.

The plug on the compressor is a NEMA 6-20P (not a NEMA 5-20P); but I do agree that's a great point to doublecheck.

Here's also what the plate says: "240V 15 Amp Sears Craftsman model 919.176940".

Reply to
Elmo

The motor will marked as dual-voltage if it can...wouldn't be too surprising but I'd stick w/ 240V as you'll need double the amps for 110V and you may well be in worse conundrum of not having a circuit w/ the ampacity to run it on 120V...

There's that turning around of the actual situation on a dryer outlet wiring again for one and the misconception regarding the point of 30A circuit protection having anything to do w/ the load plugged into the outlet. Both are simply wrong.

The third conductor is _NOT_ the neutral serving as ground, it is THE_GROUND_CONDUCTOR_ sharing service as the neutral for the 120V components in the dryer (motor/lights/timer/etc.).

For the other, the 30A breaker is there to protect the circuit wiring; it is the responsibility of the load to have the correct protection for itself internally.

For the 240V components (the heater elements) of the dryer, yes; identically. There is no 120V load on the compressor so the need for the sharing of ground/neutral disappears and is, therefore, fully compliant with current NEC for 240V loads whereas the dryer would require a four-wire connection to be compliant to current NEC. From that standpoint, the compressor is "more correct" than the intended use of the dryer on the circuit (that _was_ compliant w/ NEC of the time, of course).

Again, if the adapter you're using is compliant and well made, ignore the do-gooders' advice here--they mean well but are simply misinformed or overly cautious or just don't understand (or maybe even all of the above :) ).

--

Reply to
dpb

If that's the case, why don't you just replace the breaker and receptacle with a 20 amp

Reply to
RBM

:)

I do appreciate the double check (as that's what this thread is all about!).

Check twice, plug in once! :)

You show what appears to be a NEMA 5-20P; I have the NEMA 6-20P. The difference is (looking at the plug head on with the ground up), my sidewise blade is on the right whereas that plug's sidewise blade is on the left.

I've had the compressor for 30 years and barely used it because of this damn plug. If I can give any advice to a young 30 year old kid buying his first compressor, it would be to get a 110V smaller one!

BTW, the plate on the wheeled tank says: Sears Craftsman model 919.176940 240 volts 15 amps

Reply to
Elmo

It's a ground that shares neutral function, not vice versa...

Yes, addressed elsewhere...

In that case, the simple (and relatively inexpensive) solution would be to swap to a 20A breaker to support the proper 20A outlet style to plug the compressor in directly. There's nothing wrong w/ the wiring being _larger_ than required for the ampacity of the circuit; all it does is mean there will be even less voltage drop than otherwise would be.

--

Reply to
dpb

I like YOUR reference better than mine:
Because yours answers one of my questions, which is to doublecheck which is the green ground wire in the NEMA 6-20P (g) to mate with the white ground/neutral in the NEMA 10-30R (w) via the NEMA 6-20R-to-NEMA 10-30P adapter.

Your chart has little W's and G's and "X" and "Y" for the hot black wires.

I presume the "w" stands for white, does it not?

Reply to
Elmo

I just googled my 30-year-old Sears Craftsman model 919.176940 and, as expected, couldn't find it for sale new anymore to check the prices.

But, used, it's 60 bucks!

Because of this NEMA 6-20P plug, I've almost never used the 350 or 400 dollar compressor that I bought "because it was on sale" thirty years ago when I was just a kid.

It looks like I can still get parts for it at

But no manual for the 20-gallon 125psi air compressor seems to exist on the net.

Reply to
Elmo

Elmo wrote: ...

As noted elsewhere, you'd be better served to go to 20A breaker/plug and junk the adapter, though...

Strictly speaking, it's "neutral"; but conventional (USA, anyway) wiring is white for neutral, yes.

--

Reply to
dpb

yes, that's correct

Reply to
Steve Barker

You seem to understand the situation the best.

The adapter is a standard metal box with the NEMA-6-20R and a three-inch long strain relief for the dryer cord securely attached to the metal box.

The only problem I had was the dryer cord had three brass "circles" as the connection point but the NEMA-6-20R had screws which didn't expect to be taken out to accomodate circular connections. The last few threads removing the screws "broke" something, as the screws are clearly designed to stay in.

When I removed the three screws (two brass for the black wires and one green-painted steel for the ground/neutral wire), it was hard to get them back in.

I wondered if it was the male screw or the female hole that "stripped" when these type of stay-in screws are removed. I guessed it was the female part that stripped, so I cleaned it up with an 8x20 tap and guess what.

The screws went right in.

The DESIGN of these things is amazing. What is the reason for the screws being designed not to come all the way out. And, did I compromise something by cleaning up whatever it was that strips when you do remove the screws?

Reply to
Elmo

Very well stated!

Reply to
LM

Not true at all. In fact the code required that this 3d wire be insulated and white. That is why it usually got run in 10-3 romex. There was an exception that allowed SE cable with a bare ground.

In part 250.60 (1993 the last cycle this was legal to install) says "except for mobile homes and recreational vehicles, shall be permitted to be grounded to the grounded circuit conductor"

The "grounded" conductor is the neutral.

Reply to
gfretwell

Elmo wrote: ...

a) So they don't get lost???? :)

b) No.

At manufacture the screws are inserted then deformed on the ends to prevent accidentally backing them out fully. The plugs aren't designed for other than wire loop around the screw so there's normally no need to remove them so it's a convenience to have the resistance. Since you had the ring terminals, what you did is fine.

I'd still suggest consideration of the conversion to a 20A circuit for a permanent solution, however, altho I'll agree the solution is safe and electrically compliant w/ Code intention.

--

Reply to
dpb

I agree. If this is an"extra" dryer outlet in the garage I'd take consider switching it. A 20 amp breaker is only about $10. Another $10 would get you a metal box and proper 20amp outlet. The wire is already there. If it doesn't have a ground you could use the neutral as long as you mark it as ground.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Jesus Christ, with all this advice you will be lucky if you don't burn the house down and put the lights out in the whole neighborhood. Just go to Home Depot and get a receptacle that fits the plug. Turn off the breakers and remove the old 30 amp receptacle and install the new 20 amp one. The "hot" wires go on the outside screws they should be colored and the ground/neutral on the middle one white if it was done correctly, might be bare if someone took a short cut. Flip the breakers back on and there should be 115 volts between each of the outside holes to neutral/ground holes and 220 volts from outside hole to outside hole. Plug the thing in and turn it on and get that basket ball aired up. Working air compressors are just real handy to have around, I use mine for lots of things, great for blowing out a dusty old computer, adjusting the pressure in the car tires, gobs of uses.

Reply to
FatterDumber& Happier Moe

Here's the summary after reading all the posts, especially djb's (Dave Bot..o perhaps?) posts.

  1. The BEST approach is, all agree, to replace the NEMA 10-30R dedicated dryer receptacle and 30 amp breaker with a NEMA 6-20R and a 20 amp breaker.
  2. However, the use of a well-made adapter will be just as safe and "compliant" to code, for temporary use (e.g., once every few months for a few minutes).
  3. The two 120V hot wires match up one-to-one; what doesn't match (at first) are the two inconsistencies (a) amperage, and (b) ground/neutral
  4. Taking amperage first, the 30 amp circuit is protecting the house wiring, not the load. The 15 amp load will not cause a safety hazard to the house wiring. The load has its own overcurrent protection on the motor.
  5. Taking the contentious ground/neutral situation next, djb summed it up best by clarifying the W wire in the grandfathered NEMA 10-30R receptacle is a ground for the 240 volts of the compressor. So it's a one-to-one match of the NEMA 6-20P plug ground to the NEMA 10-30R receptacle ground (via the adapter cord).
  6. If we were to plug in a non-existent dryer, then (and only then), would the NEMA 10-30R receptacle ground wire be also carrying dual duty as the
110 volt neutral (for the dryer 110V circuitry).

In summary, it appears, as long as my adapter is well made (picture of it below), it's safe (even safer than plugging in a dryer) to plug in the cord that I made.

A picture of the adapter cord and compressor is here:

Elmo