Adhesive Recommendation

The cheap laminate on the counters in our trailer is falling off again. Any advice for what adhesive to use to hold this stuff down? It is mainly the edge, not the tops. Thanks.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dobony

Contact cement

Reply to
salty

Contact cement is used to hold down laminate. In this case, use an epoxy adhesive. Hold the laminate in place for 24 hours using weights, clamps, or duct tape.

Reply to
Phisherman

Not pushing back, just curious...I might learn something.

If contact cement is used to hold down laminate, why do you say "In this case, use an epoxy adhesive"?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

If it's coming off in full pieces, most likely the substrate is at fault so the adhesive doesn't have a good surface to bond to.

As has been said, contact cement is the proper adhesive but to get good adhesion over a previous installation will have to clean and prep both surfaces to be rid of old cement and be dirt and particularly grease-free. If the counter edge is not smooth (like a flaky particle board, perhaps), fill it w/ a hard filler and resurface (a flat wood file is good for this rather than sanding as it will keep the surface flat rather than rounding it over as sanding tends to do) it.

Follow instructions about application on the container of contact cement carefully -- in particular, on the counter surface it will undoubtedly take at least a second coating as the first will be absorbed into the material (again assuming it's particle board or similar).

My preference is still to use the original solvent-based contact cements despite the odor and flammability issue--to me they seem to work better than the water-based.

--

Reply to
dpb

To repair the edges, I would use an iron and strip off the old edges and replace with new edging that matches the tops.

Reply to
Worn Out Retread

Contact cement is what is used for most original installations. Is the edge (under the laminate) smoothe?

Reply to
Norminn

Original installations are usually hot glued down, not contact cement. As far as the countertop base, as usual it is particle board and not smooth.

Reply to
Mike Dobony