Adding light to cealing fan?

I have a porch fan that does not have a light. I would like to put a light on the porch using a separate switch and run it through the existing wires. It is an old brick house and it very difficult to run new wires. The present situation is that the fan has one wire from power and the other running through the cut-off switch.

Reply to
W. Wells

imho,

If you plan on keeping your your current fan, try and find a light kit the manufacturer recommends. Second, to seperate the single switch into dual switches you have a couple options,

  1. Run 3 conductor cable to the light. One hot for the lights, one hot for the fan.

or

  1. Look at lutron's Maestro. It can use existing single control wiring to operate both the fan and light seperately.
    Now all this is just guesses, since I cannot see your setup, or the type of fan you have. So use these as starting places for your research.

hth,

tom

Reply to
Tom The Great