Adding a reverse action pressure switch and stuff as well pump protection?

I bought a reverse action pressure switch that I want to add electrically in series with the existing well water pressure switch. The new switch closes on pressure rise. With both switches in series and with the water tank pressurized if a pipe were to break the well pump would eventually draw air and the pressure would go towards zero and the reverse acting switch would shut the pump off. I would have to add a double pole double throw switch so that at zero pressure the reverse action switch could be bypassed and the system could come up to pressure.

Can anyone find fault with such a system?

Thank you for your time.

Reply to
andy everett

You're right about your pump needing protection like that. And the addition of another press sw and a manual bypass does have its appeal.

However, the boys at Square D are way ahead on that score. For a long time they have offered models in their "Pumptrol" line which incorporate a mechanical low-pressure cutoff feature.

Look at the FSG2, for example. Order it with the M4 Form modification which gives it a built-in low pressure cutoff. (listed half way down page)

FSG with M4 is an on-the-shelf item at most supply houses. And the price can't be beat. Not to mention all the labor you save not having to wire in additional devices...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

That is the way to go, I should have asked here BEFORE I bought the reverse acting switch. Thank you for your help!

Reply to
andy everett

They make well pressure switches with a low pressure cutout built in. It's to protect the pump from running dry.

There's a little lever on the side you flip to temporarily bypass it at startup.

It looks exactly like the standard switch, just has the extra little lever. I got mine at Lowes or HD.

I think your plan would work, but this would be a lot less work.

HTH,

Paul

Reply to
Paul Franklin

Thank you, I agree. Will shop for it. Anyone need a Square D

9013FRG22J19 Cheap %^)
Reply to
andy everett