Add audio out to the TV

I have an existing TV that I want to add an audio jack to. Can I simple open the case and put the audio jack in front of the speakers ? Probably try and use a 1/8" jack (stereo) that disables the speakers when audio jack is plugged in.

Thanks.

Reply to
sidwelle

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com explained on 3/15/2020 :

What are you driving with that output?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Soundbar input via RCA jacks.

Reply to
sidwelle

Sure there isn't one? Thought virtually any set built recently would have outputs alread...

Reply to
dpb

Has optical out, but set only has constant volume. And I dont want to fool around w/universal remote or some other setup

Reply to
sidwelle

You can get TVs with a color picture now. Amazing.

I've not seen a TV in recent years that does not have audio output with with RCA jacks or HDMI, or optical. Usually 2 of the 3 listed. Take a good look for connections.

If you have a 1977 Philco, I may be wrong.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Look for bluetooth instructions. Smart tv?

Reply to
Thomas

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com explained on 3/15/2020 :

Not the best way, but can work with sound level really low, but it can be very noisey that way. An impedance matching network of resistors would be better.

Reply to
FromTheRafters

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com submitted this idea :

Is there a headphone jack?

Reply to
FromTheRafters

Are you using a cable box or a TiVo? Those remotes will support the sound bar.

Reply to
gfretwell

I would have no problem building a resister network if I knew what values need to b matched ?

Reply to
sidwelle

Probably. I've done that. Though it was 20 years ago, things haven't changed much. If sound is too loud, you can put a resistor in the feed to the jack to make the volumes come out about the same.

Use a variable resistor and when you find a value you like, replace it with a fixed resister.

Worst comes to worst, you can try something else too.

Don't forget you probably have more than one speaker, and I guess you want to disable all of them. Near where they plug into the PCBoard.

Reply to
micky

Unfortunately things have changed. This is no longer an easy hack. I recently added audio outputs to a Samsung flat screen. There are two main issues. The audio output chips are tiny class D switching type amplifiers that typically have balanced outputs and a lot of high frequency noise. Also the chips are fed by a digital signal so there is no opportunity to intercept an analog signal except at the speaker output.

Due to the balanced output, I could not get a clean signal referenced to ground. I HAD to use a small 1:1 audio transformer 600 ohm to 600 ohm worked well. Connect the primary across the speaker outputs. I added a small toggle switch to turn off the internal speakers. Connect the secondary to your output jacks. I used RCA jacks.

The second problem is the high frequency trash. This is not an issue when they connect directly to a small internal speaker but can be a problem if you feed it into a high level audio amplifier. You won't hear it but you don't want to feed high level ultrasonic crap into your amp. So I added an LC low pass filter the cut off above 18 kHz. You can look up the design for those using small inductors and capacitors. I actually used inductors from an old DSL line filter. The filters are too big to fit inside the TV so I have them in a small box external to the TV.

If you use an audio transformer, and low pass filter t should work well.

Yes, there was a third issue. Because the TV was designed to drive tiny internal speakers, the TV was set to filter off all the bass. Fortunately i was able to find on the internet the code to access the service menus and again fortunately the TV had a setting that I could change to remove the low cut filter.

So there are 3 major obstacles. Next TV i buy, i will ensure it has audio outputs hopefully controlled by the TV volume control.

good luck with your project.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Lot of good info, thanks I'll post back on my progress.

Reply to
sidwelle

Here is one already developed at bestbuy:

What do u think ?

Reply to
sidwelle

Why not? I suppose if you really blasted it you might burn up a tweeter, but who cranks up a TV that high?

So I added an LC low pass filter the cut off above 18 kHz. You can look up the design for those using small inductors and capacitors. I actually used inductors from an old DSL line filter. The filters are too big to fit inside the TV so I have them in a small box external to the TV.

I totally don't understand this. Every TV I've had has audio outputs. And it's even more bizarre now, because the industry model is to have tiny terrible speakers in a flat panel TV and you add on a sound bar or similar that gives great sound. How can you add a sound bar if there is no audio out? The OP said his TV has optical output, so why not get an optical to RCA converter?

Reply to
trader_4

He does not want to use a different remote. Instead, he is risking f-ing up the TV to add questionable jacks.

Chances are, if he bought the soundbar the same brand as the TV they would sync on the optical output.

Why do it the easy way when you can make a complex and questionable mess of it all? If he has a cable bot the remote will likely cover any combo of equipment he has anyway.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Any soundbar should pretty much work with any TV. I'm not sure what the remote issue is. If it's that he wants to be able to adjust the volume with the TV remote, my TV has an audio setting for either fixed audio out or variable. Select variable and it adjusts with the TV remote.

Reply to
trader_4

TV was inexpensive and came as a promotion, so essentially it was free. And she loves it, so no option to upgrade. Does have optical out, but the level is fixed. No, dont want to mess w/a second remote or universal.

Tapping the speakers seemed the best option.

Reply to
sidwelle

A lot easier than farting around with adjustable resistors and matching transformers, for sure, and for 10 bux it's hard to beat.

Reply to
Clare Snyder