Activities in furnace room?

I have my workshop set up in the same basement room as the gas furnace. Because of the presence of gas, I'm curious about the safety of doing certain things in there. Mainly I'm thinking about running power equipment, such as drills, etc. Is there a danger to doing that? What type of things should I avoid, if any?

Thanks.

Reply to
Airkings

IMHO, the bigger danger will be to the furnace. Sawdust drawn into the burners, clogging them, just as an example.

Danger from a drill sparking and igniting the gas? Nah. If there is a gas leak, the burner flames will take care of it...

Jim

Reply to
Speedy Jim

It is very safe. The only activity to be concerned about is fumes from painting, thinners, etc. The tools won't do anything to cause a problem. Sawdust is a concern though. It will clog filters fast. If you are running table saws, routers, planers, dust collection is a must.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

A proper working furnace should not put any gas into the air. Not unless a line is broken, etc.

However, as the other poster said, most furnace need air from the cellar. And so paint fumes, dust, etc. might not help the furnace. Also please don't store gasoline in the cellar. And store a minimum of flammable liquids.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Body emissions......

Reply to
Rick Shaw

Not with a dual pipe, sealed combustion furnace!!

But, you have seen one of those, RIGHT?

shit snipped...

~kjpro~

Reply to
~KJPRO~

The area should be kept clean and free of flammable items, including sawdust, grease, solvents, paint, etc. An ABC fire extinguisher is a good investment.

Reply to
Phisherman

or sex on the floor. Sawdust plays hell on the cheeks of yer woman's butt.....

Reply to
Red Neckerson

I've put my woodworking shop in the basement right next to the furnace without any ill effects except changing the filter a lot. I have a habit of turning OFF the furnace when I'm down there working, however, and that helps a lot.

Reply to
Larry Bud